• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

Virginia

If someone is accused of being a peeping tom, and/or perverted does the accuser have to prove that this took place? I am worried that I pissed off the wrong person and now she is claiming several things which are absurd and in retrospect from a disagreement. My biggest concern is a claim that a hole in her wall was used to look in at her. (which it wasn't) There are several holes in several walls from years of screws and nails etc. How hard would it be to defend myself from this claim (which I promise on my life is not true)? Does she have to have proof other than the hole being present (now filled in when it was brought to my attention)? And if that is enough proof for her, would pointing out that that is not the only hole in the walls and the rest of the house help defend myself in court? I would like to resolve this issue before it gets ugly and I would like to resolve it without exposing her mental illnesses. But in the worst case scenario I would rather save my name and ass by telling the truth and telling of her severe mental problems. My biggest hope is to settle this without stooping to her level. Thank you

T

Tracey

It will be your word against her word. You'll argue that she shouldn't be believed because she's ill and thinks people have done things they haven't, and because she's mad at you and never came up with this story until you two had a fight. Hire a defense attorney and ask if s/he thinks your interests would be served by telling prosecutors about her history and asking them not to file charges. The defense attorney will know whether the prosecutor assigned to the case is likely to be reasonable.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">