• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Acquiring title nightmare!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

auburnhud

Alabama I purchased a used car from an individual in Georgia. I was mailed the title from the state of Georgia. It was never signed by the seller. I have contacted him numerous times about signing an Affidavit of Correction to a Document to Support an Application for a Certificate of Title. This form was given to me by my local tag office. I have mailed the form to him twice and asked that he sign it, get it notarized and return it to me. I have even supplied a stamped, self-addressed return envelope. I am now receiving absolutely no contact from him. I've had the car since 3/4/19 and do have a bill of sale. I'm at my wits end trying to get a tag for the car so it can be driven! Can a lawyer help me with this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Have you offered some money? Maybe offer him $50 for his trouble. Should you have to resort to this? No, of course not, but it might be the cheapest and most expedient route.

Zigner

Why didn't you get the title before you handed over the money?

Fortunately, Alabama allows you to post a bond to get title.

See:

https://law.justia.com/codes/alabama/2017/title-32/chapter-8/article-2/section-32-8-36/

[URLhttps://bonds.mvtrip.alabama.gov/[/URL]
Good suggestion. While it would be cheaper to offer $50 to $100, the bond route is more of a sure thing. Of course, before doing that the OP should make sure s/he understands what a bond is and what it isn't. A bond is not insurance. Any money the bond company pays out to resolve any challenge that may be made at a later time will need to be reimbursed by the OP.
(I know that you know this, aj. I'm just trying to make sure the OP knows this ;) )

PayrollHRGuy

Did you buy the car from the owner or the pawn shop? And clearly, it wasn't "all handled" otherwise you wouldn't have the problem you have.

auburnhud

Did you buy the car from the owner or the pawn shop? And clearly, it wasn't "all handled" otherwise you wouldn't have the problem you have.
I didn't come here to get chastised. I bought a car from an individual and paid him cash. We met at a Title Loan Company in the Roebuck area of Atlanta. We signed a Bill of Sale, I gave him the cash. He then gave the cash to the employee at the Title Loan Company who zeroed out his account. She gave me the bill of sale, a form that indicated there was no lien against the car and told me the title to the car would be mailed to me; which it was. I promptly took the necessary forms to my local tag office to get a tag for the car. I was informed the seller had to sign a specific form before they could do anything for me. I CAN NOT GET HIM TO SIGN THAT FORM AND RETURN IT TO ME. Maybe if I was a car dealer I would have known to get the title that day (somehow) and force the guy to sign it, but I'm not.

Zigner

You have been given good suggestions. It's on you to determine how you wish to proceed. Best of luck.

adjusterjack

A bond is not insurance. Any money the bond company pays out to resolve any challenge that may be made at a later time will need to be reimbursed by the OP.
(I know that you know this, aj. I'm just trying to make sure the OP knows this ;) )
Yes, I do know it. :) It's spelled out in the bond itself. Though perhaps I delude myself thinking that somebody would actually read the bond that they purchase. :rolleyes:

PayrollHRGuy

I didn't come here to get chastised. I bought a car from an individual and paid him cash. We met at a Title Loan Company in the Roebuck area of Atlanta. We signed a Bill of Sale, I gave him the cash. He then gave the cash to the employee at the Title Loan Company who zeroed out his account. She gave me the bill of sale, a form that indicated there was no lien against the car and told me the title to the car would be mailed to me; which it was. I promptly took the necessary forms to my local tag office to get a tag for the car. I was informed the seller had to sign a specific form before they could do anything for me. I CAN NOT GET HIM TO SIGN THAT FORM AND RETURN IT TO ME. Maybe if I was a car dealer I would have known to get the title that day (somehow) and force the guy to sign it, but I'm not.
I in no way chastised anyone. The question I asked because you mentioned the Title Loan place and I wanted to confirm who you purchased it from because it makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">