• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ACS/CPS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RAY1081

What is the name of your state?NYC

My state is and city is NY.

So my story is this.. I'm married to my wife and we have 3 children. Ages 2 ,7, and 10. Now around Christmas time we got a knock on the from ACS. Stating that they received an anonymous call from someone stating that there is a mentally disturbed single lady who screams yells and embarass her children in public living at my address and gave them our floor which is 2.
The workers also stated that they didn't have a name of the lady being accused and that she has 3 children(like us)ages 7,9, and 15. My children aren't those ages.
my wife isn't single obviously and they don't even have the name of the person they want to check out. So it clearly sounds like a mistake. My neighbor who lives on the first floor has issues like that, has open ACS cases, and has a crazy co parent who does things like call ACS on her. I've been reading many stories and know a few people who this happened to. and didn't turn out well. A friend of mine had this happened to them and because he was missing a window guard on a window, it turned into a 2 year hassle with ACS meanwhile he never abused or neglected his children, had suitable sleeping arrangements, house was spotless, refrigerator and cabinets full of food, closet full of clothes, health and school records perfect, doesnt smoke or drink at all and that happened to him.

So I am real uneasy about it all.

My question is do I let them without a court order or the police? What will happen if I don't let them..I feel like don't have the right or the proper information to enter my home. and Can ACS investigate a home without even knowing who lives there? In every case ive heard of where ACS came to a house, They always had 1. The address 2.The name of the accused 3. The ages and the amount of children in the home and in my case they didn't that info. All they had was an address, 3 incorrect ages, and the words (crazy mentally disturbed women who lives alone with 3 children)

quincy

What is the name of your state?NYC

My state is and city is NY.

So my story is this.. I'm married to my wife and we have 3 children. Ages 2 ,7, and 10. Now around Christmas time we got a knock on the from ACS. Stating that they received an anonymous call from someone stating that there is a mentally disturbed single lady who screams yells and embarass her children in public living at my address and gave them our floor which is 2.
The workers also stated that they didn't have a name of the lady being accused and that she has 3 children(like us)ages 7,9, and 15. My children aren't those ages.
my wife isn't single obviously and they don't even have the name of the person they want to check out. So it clearly sounds like a mistake. My neighbor who lives on the first floor has issues like that, has open ACS cases, and has a crazy co parent who does things like call ACS on her. I've been reading many stories and know a few people who this happened to. and didn't turn out well. A friend of mine had this happened to them and because he was missing a window guard on a window, it turned into a 2 year hassle with ACS meanwhile he never abused or neglected his children, had suitable sleeping arrangements, house was spotless, refrigerator and cabinets full of food, closet full of clothes, health and school records perfect, doesnt smoke or drink at all and that happened to him.

So I am real uneasy about it all.

My question is do I let them without a court order or the police? What will happen if I don't let them..I feel like don't have the right or the proper information to enter my home. and Can ACS investigate a home without even knowing who lives there? In every case ive heard of where ACS came to a house, They always had 1. The address 2.The name of the accused 3. The ages and the amount of children in the home and in my case they didn't that info. All they had was an address, 3 incorrect ages, and the words (crazy mentally disturbed women who lives alone with 3 children)
You do not have to let anyone into your apartment unless they have a warrant. It is best to politely refuse entry, whether it is the police who want entry or ACS.

Just Blue

As I stated in the other thread (which is gone now because of some weird tech issue) Call the state bar for an attorney referral. Have an attorney that has dealt with CPS deal with them. Do not let them into your home without a warrant. Beyond telling them they have the wrong family, I wouldn't talk to them at all.

quincy

An attorney should not be necessary unless there is pressure from ACS and/or the police to gain entry or ask questions.

I would think that ACS would realize without further investigation that the complaint was unfounded or was for a different family.

RAY1081

Thanks yall. They already made 2 attempts. The first time my wife explained that they have the wrong people so they left. Then they came back a second time and was refused again. My wife just told me last night that they will becoming back on Friday.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thanks yall. They already made 2 attempts. The first time my wife explained that they have the wrong people so they left. Then they came back a second time and was refused again. My wife just told me last night that they will becoming back on Friday.
Tell them no. They have no right to enter your premises without a warrant. Furthermore, if the children are there you can bring them to the door so that they can see that the children are alive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">