• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ADA and parking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

justalayman

Did you miss the part about signs?
Yes I did and if there are signs that meet the legal requirements, I don’t see the need to address the individuals or post flyers. The people are thumbing their noses at the op so why spend more time waiting for unauthorized people to show up or spending the time and money to provide flyers?

They have already been warned.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I would suggest a small flyer for each car, along with signs of the impending tow policy. Do that for two weeks...
I was about to say the same thing. Easy enough to create and print a warning to leave on the offending vehicles.

justalayman

If they’re going to do that they should investigate the local laws concerning putting flyers on cars. It is illegal in some places.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If they’re going to do that they should investigate the local laws concerning putting flyers on cars. It is illegal in some places.
Illegal on private property without the property owner's consent. That wouldn't apply here.

Zigner

I didn’t see the locality of the op posted. Apparently I missed it.
Show me where it's illegal for the owner of private property to put a notice of pending tow on a vehicle that is parked without permission in their lot.

justalayman

Show me where it's illegal for the owner of private property to put a notice of pending tow on a vehicle that is parked without permission in their lot.
Using the same reasoning, show me where it’s illegal let the air out of the tires of every car on a parking lot I own. Owning a lot does not provide privileges that are otherwise illegal.

Zigner

Using the same reasoning, show me where it’s illegal let the air out of the tires of every car on a parking lot I own. Owning a lot does not provide privileges that are otherwise illegal.
A little reductio ad absurdum always lightens the mood at the end of the day ;)

FlyingRon

Eh? You want to vandalize a car because it's on your property? You show me where the vandalism part of the code where it says "willfully damages the property of another" has an "except when it's on my property" qualification.

paddywakk

Sorry, it's Texas.

We want to close it off because it's adjacent to an office building. It's closer to the office building than the office building's parking lot, so the people who work in that building park in our lot when they get to work at 8. Then, when our shopping center opens at 10, there's nowhere for the customers to park. So, we thought that if we close off our lot, the office building employees will park in their own lot instead.

It's not really feasible to close off the entire lot, but the section that's adjacent to the office building COULD be closed off quite easily.
You could see what your city requires to post notices that parking is for customers of XYZ center only and all others will be towed at their own expense. Then tow them. I worked across the street from a mall where such a notice was posted, and they towed non-customer cars all thge time.

justalayman

Eh? You want to vandalize a car because it's on your property? You show me where the vandalism part of the code where it says "willfully damages the property of another" has an "except when it's on my property" qualification.
Was that to me? If so you totally missed the point but beyond that, deflating fires is not damage.

justalayman

A little reductio ad absurdum always lightens the mood at the end of the day ;)
It was to make my point. Owning a parking lot does not allow you to commit what would otherwise be a crime. Of course youre taking this way off the path of my intention of op simply checking into the ordinances so as to prevent any issues.

LdiJ

Texas law requires posting signs. If the signs are not posted, no amount of verbal notice or flyers will provide op protections for violating the law. It may get quite expensive for the op to tow cars without complying with the applicable laws.
They have posted the signs. Go back and read post number 9.

justalayman

They have posted the signs. Go back and read post number 9.
Maybe you should go back and read a few posts.

I acknowledged I missed the signs several posts ago when zigner pointed it out.
Go back and read whatever post that was.

After that, In none of the subsequent posts have I said anything about signage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">