• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adding An Unmarried Partner to Title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wordstogo

California

What is the procedure to add a friend to a home title?

W

wordstogo

This is 2 people who live together and share all expenses including the mortgage. They have decided that since both pay the mortgage, both should have an interest in the home.

Thanks for your response,

Dawna

HomeGuru

wordstogo said:
This is 2 people who live together and share all expenses including the mortgage. They have decided that since both pay the mortgage, both should have an interest in the home.

Thanks for your response,

Dawna
**A: are both indivduals already on the mortgage as mortgagors? If so, please explain.

W

wordstogo

No they aren't. Because they are not married the Vet loan they got only allowed the veteran to be on the loan. But I know that when my husband and I first purchase our home I was self employed which wasn't going to help us get a loan so my husband got the loan in his name and both our names were on the title. But that was from the git-go. In this case they got the loan 3 years ago but didn't do the title thing which they should have at the start. But now they want to.

Thanks,

Dawna

HomeGuru

wordstogo said:
No they aren't. Because they are not married the Vet loan they got only allowed the veteran to be on the loan. But I know that when my husband and I first purchase our home I was self employed which wasn't going to help us get a loan so my husband got the loan in his name and both our names were on the title. But that was from the git-go. In this case they got the loan 3 years ago but didn't do the title thing which they should have at the start. But now they want to.

Thanks,

Dawna

**A: if they are not married, they should seek the advice of legal counsel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">