• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adding Out-of-State Spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NJ

I will be married in a few months. My fiance is from New York and has a NY driver's license. I realize that it would be prudent to add him to my policy once we are married.

Here's the "problem" -- according to the state MVS, once I notify the insurance company, he will have 60 days to obtain a NJ license (which requires that he turn in his NY license, which I sense he is reluctant to do), if I want him to be covered on my policy.

Also, according to MVS' web site, he will have to "change the titles and registrations of any vehicles [you] own that are currently titled and registered in another state or country."

Although he makes the payments, only his sister's name is on the title (although he is listed as a driver on the NY insurance policy). Will he have to do this too although he's not on the title?

ALawyer

This is not really an insurance law question, although insurance is tied up in it.

The car is NOT his and thus he owns no car. However, his sister would normally NOT want to be the title holder as if he gets into an accident, SHE is also liable, especially if the claim exceeds the liability coverage or the insurance company denies coverage and the victim is not paid.

As for his reluctance to get a NJ license, if you 2 are getting married, and will be living together in NJ, what's the issue? A love of NY? A love of relatively Higher Taxes? Fear of failing the tests?

I think the hesitation was the cost of insurance, as Geico cannot write policies here. But I told him that the law changed and he probably won't have to take any exams, just turn the old one in.

Thanks so much for your help!

B

BennyDi

ALawyer said:
This is not really an insurance law question, although insurance is tied up in it.

The car is NOT his and thus he owns no car. However, his sister would normally NOT want to be the title holder as if he gets into an accident, SHE is also liable, especially if the claim exceeds the liability coverage or the insurance company denies coverage and the victim is not paid.

As for his reluctance to get a NJ license, if you 2 are getting married, and will be living together in NJ, what's the issue? A love of NY? A love of relatively Higher Taxes? Fear of failing the tests?
I realize this is an older post, but may I also add that some insurance carriers require that the vehicle must be titled and registered in the insureds name?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">