• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Additional fee outside of lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mbozulich

( North Carolina )

Recently landlord/manager of front office "discovered" I had a pet (despite my disclosing such and paying a pet deposit when I moved in 5 years ago) and now says I owe them an extra (somewhat recently established) 'pet rent' fee going forward. I found no mention of such thing in my lease, but they say according to company policy they are allowed to charge additional fees as long as there is a 30-day notice (a stipulation I also cannot find in my lease)…..

Please advise.

adjusterjack

If you did sign a new lease that is currently in effect then, no, they can't add the fee mid term. But count on paying it at renewal, or moving if they decide not to renew.

LdiJ

( North Carolina )

Recently landlord/manager of front office "discovered" I had a pet (despite my disclosing such and paying a pet deposit when I moved in 5 years ago) and now says I owe them an extra (somewhat recently established) 'pet rent' fee going forward. I found no mention of such thing in my lease, but they say according to company policy they are allowed to charge additional fees as long as there is a 30-day notice (a stipulation I also cannot find in my lease)…..

Please advise.
Unless you have signed a new lease every year, once you passed the first lease period you have been on a month to month lease. Therefore yes, with proper notice they can change the terms of the lease of the month to month lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">