• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adjustment of Status/ Business Incorporation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Kansas


I am a US Citizen by Naturalization in 2002. I have a brother 25yrs of age currently in United Kingdom on a 2yr working Visa. He is visiting me in two months on a Visitor Visa. Is it possible fro me to apply for an adjustment of his status from Visitor Visa to an Immigrant Visa/Green Card?? If so How??

The second question is, I heard about an option for setting up a business incorporation and getting my brother into it as a partner. Can I do that?? If I can, what would be my brother's status then. Could that take my brother towards a permanent immigrant status?? What do I need to do to acheive that.

Other than the two options I have mentioned above, I would appreciate any other suggestions and solutions. Please Advise.




Senior Member
The answer to both is NO. You cannot sponsor your brother for adjustment of status until a visa number becomes available and for siblings of US citizens, the wait is about 12 years for a visa number to become available. As for employment-based permanent residence, unless it is for an investment visa, a beneficiary of the petition cannot also be a partner in the enterprise that is sponsoring his permanent residence.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential