• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption by a step-parent in New York

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

myriamzahra

What is the name of your state? New York

My husband is interested in adopting my daughter. Brief overview of what is going on:

My daughter is currently five years old. For the first two years of her life, I was making every effort for her to get to know her father who resided with his grandmother. I used to take my daughter to her house every Friday so she could spend the night with her father, who would subsequently leave the baby with his grandmother while he went out to do whatever with his friends.

I began dating my husband in January of 2000 after many years of friendship and introduced him to my daughter. It was love at first sight with the two of of them. He became the "man" in her life as her father was never around. We married in June of 2002. When her paternal great-grandmother noticed the relationship that my daughter developed with my husband she began to make rude and offensive remarks about him in front of my daughter who would come home and repeat everything to me. We had a few arguments about this until one day I saw her physically threaten my daughter when she called my husband Papi, which is spanish for Dad. At that point I decided that my daughter would not be returning to this woman's home.

In the interim her father had moved out of his grandmother's house into an apartment with his girlfriend. He picked up his daughter once to see his new apartment and that was it. A few weeks after I stopped taking my daughter to his grandmother's house, her father contacted me to have a family meeting to discuss the situation. I agreed. At the meeting I advised him that I had no problem with him having visitation with his daughter, but that I did not agree with him leaving her with his grandmother. We ended up in court where he has been granted visits every other weekend. What is going on right now is that my daughter, who is now five, does not want to go with him and he does not look any happier picking her up since the court stipulated that he had to be present for the entire visit.

Basically, my question is do I need his consent to have my husband adopt my daughter? I currently have full custody of her.

A

A.J.HASEK

yes you do need your x consent to let your husband adopt your daughter . if your x is willing to relinquish his rights then youe husband should be able to adopt her. note your x wont have to pay child support anymore

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">