• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



i live in the state of kansas were my husband and i filed for him to adopt my children. their biological father has relenquished his rights so i have no problem with really anything. i however am trying to do this on my own without having to hire an attorney. my question for you is in order to not look like a fool in front of the judge what should i bring to the court hearing. i have already filed the petition for the adoption as well as change of name, the consent form for the adoption, the kids birth certificates, as well as the relenquishment papers. the good news is that i will be getting the same judge that done my divorce, and the relenquishment. i just want to look like i got it all together and to impress the judge as well as do everything right so that the proceedings go well. the only problem is the person who is adoption my husband (the step-parent) is not going to be able to be at the hearing. he is in the kansas department of corrections, and won't be able to attend the hearing. he has signed all the papers and they are all noterized. any help would be greatly appreciated.



Not to be mean but: fix your language skills when you go in front of the judge; second -- department of corrections as an inmate? Then why would you want him to adopt?

Maybe you SHOULD at LEAST talk with an attorney in family law and specializing in adoptions. http://www.attorneypages.com. Most consultations are free.

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.


In the first place your not being mean, your just being honest. Second place I know that it doesn't seem like the right thing to do beings he is in a Correctional Institution, but we been a family for over 5 years before any of this happened. This is his first year being away from us, and he has 3 more years to go. He is a loving husband, and a wonderful father. He is the natural father to one of my children, and is the step-father to the other two. Before he went to the Correctional Facility he had always been there for us, and had been very supportive. Now that he is not here I am the one who is in charge of supporting us. I know every were I go everyone is always asking me what I am going to do. Well I can answer that easy, and honestly. I am going to support my husband, and be by his side every step of the way. My children really miss their step-father, and we go to see him as much as we can. Just because he is in a Correctional Facility doesn't mean life doesn't go on, and we don't have to go thru that life alone we can go thru it together. I know he may not be here all the time, but in a sense he is he is here in everything we see, and everything we do. As I said before we go to see him as much as we can, we write each other almost everyday, and he calls every week. We can not talk long but we always keep in touch everyone of us. So your answer to question why would I do this? I asked my husband almost the same question. Actually I asked him why we didn't do this before? He said because maybe I wasn't sure of it. I got to tell you that I have never been more sure in my whole entire life then I am right now. I have always known the answer. The Adoption only does one thing, and that is it makes everything formal. I mean he is their father in every way you can imagine, but this will make it perfectly legal. Besides it is NOT what I want, but want we all want. I think it is the right decision. I want everything to go perfectly. This is a very big step in all of our lives. It's kind of like we are all getting married. I have already filed the papers, and already set up a court date for the 25th of June. I know this is the best thing to do for all of us.


Dale, you sound like a wise person. I wish we could help you more with this, but it is all going to depend on which judge you get.

If I was in your shoes, I would...

Make an appointment with an attorney for a free consultation.

Ask them if there is a way to do this with out him appearing.

Ask them what that is.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential