• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult Adoption in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tableforfive

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My Husband is adopting my 18 year old son. We have an attorney and our attorney filed everything. Attorney says biological Father doesn't need copy of hearing date since its Adult adoption and everything I'm reading says he is supposed to get a copy.

I called courthouse and family law division didn't know, said it was up to judge.

Any ideas? I don't want to have the final hearing and get it postponed.

Thank you!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My Husband is adopting my 18 year old son. We have an attorney and our attorney filed everything. Attorney says biological Father doesn't need copy of hearing date since its Adult adoption and everything I'm reading says he is supposed to get a copy.

I called courthouse and family law division didn't know, said it was up to judge.

Any ideas? I don't want to have the final hearing and get it postponed.

Thank you!
Your attorney already answered the question.

http://www.floridaschildrenfirst.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Adult-Adoption-Booklet-with-forms.pdf

Tableforfive

Yes, I read that months ago and it says, "Yes, the choice belongs to you. If you decide to be adopted
as an adult, you will have to provide notice of the final hear-
ing to your legal parent(s). Fla. Stat. 63.062(8)(b). But they
do not have to consent to the adoption in order for it to
happen.

As I stated in my question, my attorney states bio father doesn't need a copy.

Everything I'm reading says he does.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">