• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult dependent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NellieBly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA.

My adult son receives SSDI on his deceased father's account. I receive SSI and work at a part time job. He has more income than I do.

He pays some bills and I pay others. Admittedly, I pay more than my share, but I'm overindulgent. Sue me.

Can I claim him as dependent on my taxes? I heard his SSDI is exempt.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA.

My adult son receives SSDI on his deceased father's account. I receive SSI and work at a part time job. He has more income than I do.

He pays some bills and I pay others. Admittedly, I pay more than my share, but I'm overindulgent. Sue me.

Can I claim him as dependent on my taxes? I heard his SSDI is exempt.
How much income does he actually have? If its truly more than you, then you cannot claim that he isn't providing more than 50% of his own support. On top of that, since he is an adult, he has to have income of less than 3900.00 a year in order to be claimed as a dependent.

NellieBly

He's pulling in twice what I make. Imagine that.

I was questioning really, whether or not his SSDI could be factored in as "support." I know it's not taxable.

At any rate, I'm glad I asked instead of just claiming him. I was hoping to bump up my earned income tax credit.

FlyingRon

He's pulling in twice what I make. Imagine that.

I was questioning really, whether or not his SSDI could be factored in as "support." I know it's not taxable.

At any rate, I'm glad I asked instead of just claiming him. I was hoping to bump up my earned income tax credit.
Yes, it certainly does count.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">