• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult gets minor pregnant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kayla884427

In California the age of consent is 18. I am 16 and I had sex with a 25 year old. He did NOT rape me or take advantage of me in any way. I completely consented (although that doesn't mean much legally since I'm under the age of consent). My period is late and I might be pregnant. I was wondering if there is any way for me to have the baby without him getting in trouble? Or will I have to get an abortion to keep him out of prison?

quincy

In California the age of consent is 18. I am 16 and I had sex with a 25 year old. He did NOT rape me or take advantage of me in any way. I completely consented (although that doesn't mean much legally since I'm under the age of consent). My period is late and I might be pregnant. I was wondering if there is any way for me to have the baby without him getting in trouble? Or will I have to get an abortion to keep him out of prison?
Yes, the 25 year old can get in trouble for impregnating a 16 year old.

Having an abortion does not help the 25 year old escape a criminal charge.

Eekamouse

He's 9 years older than you. What's wrong with him that he's fooling with a minor? Do your parents know this man and what he's been doing with you?

FlyingRon

Most people would call it rape, but in California it's unlawful sexual intercourse officially. It's a wobbler in this case. Marriage only helps if you were married at the time of the intercourse.

quincy

Most people would call it rape, but in California it's unlawful sexual intercourse officially. It's a wobbler in this case. Marriage only helps if you were married at the time of the intercourse.
The law I cited has unlawful sexual intercourse under a "Rape, Abduction, Carnal Abuse of Children, and Seduction" chapter heading.

The $10,000 civil penalty can be pursued by the DA for costs, with the remainder going to the Underage Pregnancy Prevention Fund (too late to help a pregnant 16 year old).

FlyingRon

So? Just because bestiality is listed under a chapter heading "Bigamy, Incest, and the Crime Against Nature" doesn't make it bigamy.
Anyway, I wasn't addressing your comments, I was talking to the OP.

CdwJava

This can be charged as a felony pursuant to PC 261.5 - aborted or not. Often, this will be pursued as a misdemeanor provided the suspect is capable of supporting the child and willing to take responsibility for support.

While getting married after the child is born or the intercourse is uncovered MIGHT minimize the chances of prosecution, there is no guarantee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">