• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advance Directive Vs RN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sefnfot

What is the name of your state? CA

I am the AD and Power of Att signed by a Notary.

The nurse at the Hospital is telling me that my mother told her that she does not want to be (1) video taped, (2) not sign anything and that (3) the door to her room should not be closed.

I don't believe that my mom told the RN not to close the door; and that is simply a conclusion to enforce # 1 above.

I was happy to hear that the RN was working to protect my mother; however, I am at odds with this because I find out that only I am being treated this way and not the other visitors.

My mom is at stage 4 Pancreas Cancer and there are no conventional treatments available.

I am trying to get her alternative treatments to primarily alleviate her pain and extend her life without suffering. I feel the actions of the RN is working to isolate her from myself. This Charge RN has continuously tried to prevent me from doing treatments that have been approved by the doctors.

So:
1 What can I do?
2 can I get one of the doctors to ask her ( the neurologist ) who has established a good repertoire in communicating with the patient through the semi consciousness of pain medications and delirium?
3 can I claim that my mother has developed hospital acquired delirium syndrome?
4 Because of my previous deficiencies observed and received from this nurse can I claim undue influence upon the patient?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I am the AD and Power of Att signed by a Notary.
This is a bit unclear, but given what you put in the subject line and the post, I'll assume that what you mean is that you are the agent designated by your mother to make certain healthcare decisions for her in an advance healthcare directive (aka healthcare power of attorney) and her agent to act for her in other matters specified in a separate power of attorney document. What acts you are authorized to perform for her depends on what powers she gave you in those documents. Since powers of attorney are not standard one size fits all documents and vary considerably there is no way for me to know what powers she granted you without reading those documents.

The nurse at the Hospital is telling me that my mother told her that she does not want to be (1) video taped, (2) not sign anything and that (3) the door to her room should not be closed.

I don't believe that my mom told the RN not to close the door; and that is simply a conclusion to enforce # 1 above.
Did you ask your mother about that? It is important to understand that a power of attorney does not allow the agent (you) to override the decisions of the decisions of the principal, at least so long as the principal is competent. It doesn't take a lot to be legally competent. So if your mother is competent, then the final decisions on her care rests with her.

What can I do?
Start by talking with your mother to determine what she wants and then discuss your concerns about the nurse and what your mother wants with the hospital administrators.

2 can I get one of the doctors to ask her ( the neurologist ) who has established a good repertoire in communicating with the patient through the semi consciousness of pain medications and delirium?
It's not clear what you are asking. It sounds like you are asking if you may ask the doctor to discuss this with your mother. If so, yes you can do that. Whether the doctor will agree to do it is another matter. Nothing requires him/her to do it.

3 can I claim that my mother has developed hospital acquired delirium syndrome?
You can claim whatever you want, but as you are presumably not a medical expert that probably won't mean much. Moreover, what do hope doing that would accomplish for you? It is not clear to me that it would benefit you or your mother in any way.

4 Because of my previous deficiencies observed and received from this nurse can I claim undue influence upon the patient?
Nothing you have said indicates the nurse has exercised undue influence here, and again the question arises what you hope to achieve with that claim.

It seems to me that the most obvious options are the ones you haven't mentioned: (1) talking to your mother to determine what she wants and (2) discussing your concerns about this nurse with the hospital administrators. That’s where I would start if I were in your shoes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">