• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advertising problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

frogie

I have a new community website in Alabama. I want to advertise in local publications, but was told by one that they would not publish my ad because I have content on my website that is competitive with their business. Even if I do not list that content in the ad, I was told I could not put my URL in the ad. Is this legal?

ALawyer

Unfortunately, probably yes.

Private businesses such as publications have the right to choose who they want do business with.

While state and federal laws often prevent discrimination on account of race color creed, age and sex in many instances, there is nothing that prohibits them from discriminating against comeptitiors.

If the business itself is a monopoly, such as a local phone or cable company, it may have to serve all comers.

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">