• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice about Bill of Sale - PLEASE HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

misskommunik8

What is the name of your state? Virginia

In June 2002 my husband and I were moving overseas and needed to sell our car. My father agreed to buy it from us for $3,600 (the amount that we spent to pay off the loan). He asked us to write a Bill of Sale for $100 so that he could take that to the DMV and avoid having to pay too much property tax. So, we did. We never had him sign a promissory note saying he would pay us the $3,600. We trusted him. For 18 months we have heard "I am going to pay you," "I have money problems", and a million other excuses.

We recently returned to the US for a visit and while there tried to talked to my father about this problem. He kept telling us, "We'll talk about it later." Later never came and we wanted him to finally sign a promissory note that we downloaded off the Internet. On our last day of our stay, we left the document for him to sign. However, he tells us he will never sign it. I am afraid we are screwed. We don't have any proof of this agreement, other than a verbal agreement. We don't have a copy of the Bill of Sale, and if we did that is only stating he bought the car for $100, which isn't correct.

Can we do anything or do we just cut our losses?

Thanks very much,
Brigitte

H

hexeliebe

cut your losses...and papa out.

He's a loser and a thief.

M

misskommunik8

Thank you for your fast reply.

Actually, I have cut my father out of my life after he failed to talk about this during our visit. We aren't speaking to each other now because of this. It's very sad. He keeps telling my mother he'll pay us, however, I have no trust in him. Why should I?

Brigitte

H

hexeliebe

good question. and one without an answer.

And I know you don't want to hear this but NEXT TIME get it in writing.

You only lost a car. he lost a child. Who do you think lost the most?

M

misskommunik8

There will be no NEXT TIME. I think you are right. He is the one who lost more. Sad thing is that my dad has a track record of using people. I guess I should have known better. Somehow I wanted to trust he wouldn't hurt me. This wasn't the first time, but it is the last.

Thank you for your honest words.

Brigitte

JETX

Let me give you the legal answer to your question: "Can we do anything or do we just cut our losses?"

*** You have NO legal claim against him. Simply, by your providing the $100 statement (and helping him commit tax fraud), you have 'unclean' hands in this transaction. And no court in the land is going to help you undo the damage you created yourself.

M

misskommunik8

I was sure that was the case, but several friends advised me to at least ask. My husband and I left ourselves wide open to get burned. It's a pity that being nice has bit us in the butt!

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

I won't ever trust my dad again. Even *IF* he does pay us back. You know, having the $3,600 isn't going to make me feel any better. Because ultimately we don't have his RESPECT. If we had that, we would have already had our money.

Thanks for your reply.

Brigitte

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">