• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice Needed On Vehicle Damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark1210

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Situation:

I was sitting in the car listening to the radio while my friend was in the bank. All of a sudden on the passenger side I hear a loud bang that rocks the car. A large woman slung her door open and it hit my passenger side door on my new SUV (still has temp tags in fact). I immediately get out of the car and go over to inspect the damage.

It put a nice crease in the door and the paint flaked off in the area. (Had it been a small item I probably would have been upset but let it go..but this is at least 500.00 damage due to the body line).

The woman refused to talk to me, kept walking into the bank. I pull out my phone and take pictures of her car, my car and her license plate. I also call the police but they refuse to come out because its "private property".

About 20 minutes later, the woman comes out and then goes back in when she sees me standing next to my car. A few minutes later she comes out with a security guard "for her protection". I explain the situation, the security guard excuses himself from the ordeal. She refuses to provide me with her insurance card and drives off.

Help Needed:

As she would not give me ANY details or insurance card, and the police refused to visit. What is my recourse? I assume I can go to the DMV and perhaps get her insurance information (if they release it).

Last edited:

ecmst12

Go to the police station and file a report and ask for the owner's information. They may or may not be able to give you her insurance information but if you have her name and address you can sue her in small claims court.

You can also file a claim with your insurance (assuming you have full coverage since it's a new car) and let them do the leg work for you in getting your deductible (and the rest of it) back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">