• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice on collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Texas

Back in December of 2003 I stopped paying Cingular, and I just received a letter from Nationwide Recovery Systems to collect 855.17(after fees and all - original debt was maybe 400 dollars :( ). I would like to pay this in full as I do owe it, but I lost my job last October and have been looking since then for a new job. I could make payments, or settle for much less(300 maybe). I would like to avoid talking to them on phone at all costs, and prefer talking via mail. What should I send them? Should I wait since they just aquired this debt? I'm lost and would love some advice. Thanks!


Send a debt validation letter, certified mail return receipt. Ask for proper validation, an accounting of the debt, and proof they are the ones to collect. Include a clause to only contact you by mail.

If and when they provide you with this, send another letter, certified mail, return receipt. Ask for a settlement and/or payment plan. Keep doing this until something satisfactory happens. Just make sure they can't sell any of the unpaid balance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential