• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

advice on divorce situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


What is the name of your state? NY
I was wondering if you really need a lawyer to file for a divorce? I know I probably should get one, but I just can't afford one. Our house is in both our names, so my husband won't leave. I don't know what to do??? Any advice out there?? The quick scenario is that we don't get along, haven't gotten along in months, he pretty much comes and goes as he pleases while I'm home with the baby all day and night, he doesn't do anything in the house, just kind of basically sleeps here and that's it. I do not want to keep living in this situation and have my daughter around to see it. What do I have to do to get him out?


Under the Radar Member
For starters, if you're even thinking of filing pro se, you should spend some time familiarizing yourself with NYS law with respect to divorce. It's a fault state, so you would first have to figure out what "fault" you can file under, and how you intend to prove it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential