• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

advice on emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Indiana

I am a 17 yr. old male from indiana. My parents have been emotionally abusive and controlling for as long as i can remember. Even though I am going to be graduating from high school in less than four months, I want to be emancipated. I know that the state law requires the minor to be financially self-sufficient, and even though i have a reasonable paying job, I want to know what amount of income the courts would deem necessary for emancipation to be allowed. I also wanted to know what (if any) rights a child has, and how to go about getting emancipated in my state.
Last edited:


Enough where you would be able to pay for rent of an apartment, medical, insurance, food clothes. From what I understand emancipated, mean your on your own. You cannot live with anyone, no one else can be supporting you. But your going to need a good case on why you want to be emancipated otherwise the court wont grant it.


Junior Member
I realize that I need to be able to support myself, especially in terms of food, clothing, health insurance, etc. However, would emotional abuse (and physical abuse, but not for several years) and mental abuse constitute as means for emancipation?


Under the Radar Member
And you realize, of course, that it may take longer than 4 months to get a court date, right?


stealth2 said:
And you realize, of course, that it may take longer than 4 months to get a court date, right?
I thought Foamy had been elected to the legislature and was going to fix this?

Or was that some other squirrel?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential