• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

advice on extended warranty issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

findananswer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I have a legal question about an extended warranty on a vehicle. The dealership sold me on this saying it was refundable if it went unused. I just paid off the vehicle and went to check on getting the refund. They tell me it had expired a year ago and I was supposed to ask for a reimbursement within 30 days of expiration or I don't get the refund as I was promised. I don't understand to ask for it before the loan was paid off? They showed me the paperwork I signed and said "sorry you won't be getting it because you had a 30 day window to ask". Am I out of luck? Do I have any recourse?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I have a legal question about an extended warranty on a vehicle. The dealership sold me on this saying it was refundable if it went unused. I just paid off the vehicle and went to check on getting the refund. They tell me it had expired a year ago and I was supposed to ask for a reimbursement within 30 days of expiration or I don't get the refund as I was promised. I don't understand to ask for it before the loan was paid off? They showed me the paperwork I signed and said "sorry you won't be getting it because you had a 30 day window to ask". Am I out of luck? Do I have any recourse?
You are out of luck if the paperwork you signed said that you needed to ask for a reimbursement within 30 days of expiration of the extended warranty, and you didn't.

You need to read carefully, and understand, any document you sign prior to signing.

findananswer

I just feel like they weaseled me, really. I mean why would somebody ask for a refund on something that wasn't yet actually paid for? Seems like the dealership would have found a reason not to refund it no matter what somewhere in the fine print. Seems like a technicality to me. I owe you money, but you didn't ask for it fast enough so now I no longer owe you?

quincy

I just feel like they weaseled me, really. I mean why would somebody ask for a refund on something that wasn't yet actually paid for? Seems like the dealership would have found a reason not to refund it no matter what somewhere in the fine print. Seems like a technicality to me. I owe you money, but you didn't ask for it fast enough so now I no longer owe you?
You read the terms of the agreement and you signed it. With your signature on the papers, you indicated that you read and understood all that was written and you agreed to it as written. You always had an option not to sign.

And, if what you signed stated that you had 30 days after the expiration of the warranty to request reimbursement, you had 30 days after the expiration of the warranty to request reimbursement. If you failed to meet this agreed-upon requirement, you are not entitled to the reimbursement.

It is not really a technicality. It is contract law. ;)

If you think there is something unfair about the extended warranty papers you signed, though, you could take your papers to an attorney in your area for a review.

findananswer

They would probably tell me the same things you are saying if I took the paperwork to a lawyer. Seems like I was told verbally to ask for the reimbursement after it was paid off. You know the tremendous pressure you are under when buying a car and the pile of paperwork you sign after being there for hours? I guess it's an expensive lesson learned and it still doesn't feel right.

quincy

They would probably tell me the same things you are saying if I took the paperwork to a lawyer. Seems like I was told verbally to ask for the reimbursement after it was paid off. You know the tremendous pressure you are under when buying a car and the pile of paperwork you sign after being there for hours? I guess it's an expensive lesson learned and it still doesn't feel right.
I think that most people probably do not spend the time to read contracts very carefully before signing, especially when the contracts are lengthy and written in legalese. And, when you have a salesperson sitting in front of you waiting for the papers to be signed, it is natural to not want to be rude by taking up too much of his/her time by reading every word. Many people just sign what is put before them and hope that what they signed is okay. :)

Without reading exactly what you signed or knowing all of the facts, there is no way to say for sure that the reimbursement is lost to you - but from what you have posted here, it does indeed appear to be an expensive lesson.

Sorry.

findananswer

I think that most people probably do not spend the time to read contracts very carefully before signing, especially when the contracts are lengthy and written in legalese. And, when you have a salesperson sitting in front of you waiting for the papers to be signed, it is natural to not want to be rude by taking up too much of his/her time by reading every word. Many people just sign what is put before them and hope that what they signed is okay. :)

Without reading exactly what you signed or knowing all of the facts, there is no way to say for sure that the reimbursement is lost to you - but from what you have posted here, it does indeed appear to be an expensive lesson.

Sorry.
Yeah even though I did sign it, I find it weird how they wouldn't give me the extended warranty companies contact info so I could pursue it further. They told me to send a request to the dealership via mail (got my hopes up like I had a chance to get it or something), then they proceeded to make a copy of the form I signed and sent back the denial. It came back in like 2 days via mail. They didn't even make a request to the company on my behalf, just denied it. I'm kind of peeved about it, I literally asked for it right after I made the last payment to find out I wouldn't be getting it. I didn't know if I had a case enough to ask a lawyer or check with small claims, I've never been through something like this. I just feel like they set the warranty to expire earlier than the payoff so they could do this.

quincy

Yeah even though I did sign it, I find it weird how they wouldn't give me the extended warranty companies contact info so I could pursue it further. ... they proceeded to make a copy of the form I signed ... I just feel like they set the warranty to expire earlier than the payoff so they could do this.
If you think there is something shady going on, you can have all facts reviewed by one of your local attorneys, but the extended warranty papers you signed should spell out exactly what you agreed to.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">