• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice on name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Rhode Island
I am new here so I wasnt sure where to post this question.
I have many cousins with the same first and last name and I have run into problems with the law because of them using my info to get out of traffic tickets and such. They get stopped for speeding or what have you, simply tell the officers that they forgot there licences and they give them the proper name ( my name) but they give them my birthday which is easy to remember ( christmas day ) and then the cop writes out a ticket with my info and sometime they pay the ticket or if they dont bother to pay I find out by getting a letter to go to court and it usually get cleared up by getting the cop who wrote out the ticket to identify me, but one time my liceance was susspened for 8 months and I didnt even know and I could have been arrested had I been stopped by a cop, when I go to court and explain to the judge that this isnt the first time this has happen, he drops all charges but I explain to him, what about the tickets they did pay for, those are now on my driving record and my insurance could go up, and then tells me to change my first name so I thought about it and decided to do it but how do I go about it? Thank you in advance for you help and info:confused:


Senior Member
go to your local civil court and ask the civil clerk for forms on changing your name.

You should consider changing your last name instead of your first name.

The forms are easy to fill out. You also have to give notice of the name change through a newspaper publication for 4 weeks (at least in California).

If no objections to the name change, it is approved at a hearing. You then get the order signed. Be sure to send a copy of the name change order to all your credit card, banks, DMV, insurance, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential