• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

advice please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

titan123

What is the name of your state? tennesse
:confused: I left my employer for one month and came back. In their own handbook it states that rehired employees are eligible for insurance the month after they return. I went into the hospital almost two months after i came back. Thinking i had insurance. I recieved a bill saying i didnt have insurance. I called my work and the insurance lady said there was nothing in the handbook about rehires that everyone wants 90 days. That is until i laid her own handbook in front of her with it circled. She was puzzled. She is tring to cover her hind in by getting cobra back dated but that was over a month ago. They havent heard anything else about it. All the while I have bill that are still coming to me about being in the hospital. Any advice on how to handle this matter? :confused:

Some Random Guy

Be happy that she is backdating the COBRA for you. You claim that your handbook states you are ELIGIBLE for enrollment after 30 days. You don't say that you actually enrolled, or did anything to contact HR and tell them you wanted to re-enroll.

Based on your statement, the employer did nothing wrong and the circled item in the handbook should have been shown to HR at the 30 day mark.

Beth3

It actually doesn't matter what the Employee Handbook says - it matters what the Group Health Plan Document says. The Handbook may have incorrect or outdated information in it and I'd also guess it has disclaimers in multiple locations saying it's not a contract, policies are subject to change any time, etc., etc.

If you want to know when you are first eligible to join/rejoin the health insurance plan, you need to look at the Plan Document/insurance booklet. Chances are that you have to wait the entire 90 days following your most recent date of hire.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">