• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Affidavit of Domestic Partnership legal rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gr3802

What is the name of your state? CA

I have added my Girlfriend to my company health insurance recently using a form that provided by the company.
It is called "affidavit support of domestic partnership".

I wonder if my GF can take me to court later and claim that we are in Domestic Partner relationship?
I also proposed to my GF and bought a ring for her. I want to know if she will have any legal rights when time comes.

Thanks

-gr

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? CA

I have added my Girlfriend to my company health insurance recently using a form that provided by the company.
It is called "affidavit support of domestic partnership".

I wonder if my GF can take me to court later and claim that we are in Domestic Partner relationship?
No.
https://www.sos.ca.gov/registries/domestic-partners-registry/frequently-asked-questions/

I also proposed to my GF and bought a ring for her. I want to know if she will have any legal rights when time comes.
Legal rights to/for/regarding what? And when what time comes?

gr3802

Zigner,

I mean spousal support legal rights or so if I fail to marry her in the future and when we break up.
She has been living with me a few years but not too long.

HRZ

IF this is an opposite sex arrangement , is at least one of you over 62?

I would assume nothing about issues in CA and have seen some very odd posts here about folks who got zapped by interpretation of domestic relationships that make no sense in light of published law . IF you are the chief breadwinner and or hold far more assets you might be smart to review current winds with a paid competent CA divorce lawyer . And if you produce children , assume that everything will be intrepreted in context of what's best for children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">