• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Affidavit of Support to Alien Spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state?


I am filing for Permanent Residency with the B.I.C.S.

My American citizen wife is my sponsor and has signed a notarised Affidavit of Support.

For the past ten weeks she has not done so and I have had to borrow money to be able to afford basics such as food/prescriptions/toiletries.

I know that legally I can sue her for my outlays and may have to, but is the Small Claims Court the right avenue to take? The legal agreement she has entered into is between her and the U.S. Government so she and I don't have a contractual agreement as such but I am the beneficiary of the agreement.

Would appreciate some advice.



If she is your wife then why aren't you living together? Why aren't you working to help support the expenses? Was this a marriage of convenience so that you may gain citizenship?

Why should she pay you support? Do you have children together? Are you physically unable to work? You you getting a divorce? How long have you been married? Does she have a high paying job in which she can support herself and you in 2 different locations?
Are you still together?
You haven't really given enough information to base a opinion on. I would say that if you only got married for citizenship she shouldn't pay you anything because you both are wrong for what you did. secondly if you are physically able to work then do it, support yourself. If there are children involved and you have custody that is a matter of family court, because it is the childs right to have that money not the custodial parent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential