• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Affirmative Action and Quotas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Scarface

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
I was wondering if Affirmative Action had anything to do with Quotas for job employment. I had a friend who was not allotted a spot for a police officer academy because they needed another black officer to fill the position to meet quota. My friend was spot 47 and the other black officer was 305. There were 47 spots to be filled. Is this legal? Is this somethin that HAD to be done in order to meet a mandatory quota? Is it a part of the Affirmative Action or something else like the Executive order 11246? You would think that this would not be helping society but hurting it by not allowing the police force to have the strongest force that it is capable of having.
Scarface

Last edited:

Beth3

An employer subject to Affirmative Action is not required to have hiring quotas for minorities. That CAN happen however if discriminatory employment practices have been found by the the EEOC and the gov't has subjected the employer to a quota as a remedy.

Because you're talking about a public sector employer, and a police department at that, an accurate answer to your question can only be provided by someone familiar with this particular law enforcement agency. They might have involuntary quotas or a voluntary plan to increase the racial diversity of the force.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">