• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After I file BK can I use my checking Act.?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michelle Rene'

What is the name of your state?Colorado
How long do I have to wait before I can start using my checking account again.? I was told when you file they take over your account and take anything you have in it. Now I am afraid to put anything into it in fear they will take it and then I can't pay bills etc...I filed chapter 7 in Nov. Had my creditors meeting in Dec. And he never said anything about taking my next refund either....

All that mattered in regards to your checking account was how much money was in it on the day you FILED. There is no reason you can't continue to use your account.

Luna1964

The only time you need to worry about a checking or savings account is if you filed BK on a loan or credit card held by the same bank. They would "freeze" the account and keep the money in the account to apply to the debt.

If you did not have a BK'd loan or credit card thru your bank...you can use your checking/savings account.

Who's Liable?

Most states require you to have a combined MAX account on the day you file... For Arizona, I beleive it is $150.00, but you would have to check with your lawyer or yoru state's law in regards to this...

After the day you file, you can start using it again...

Michelle Rene'

GaAtty said:
You were told wrong. The court does not "take over your bank account" in a bankruptcy.
A friend of mine said nine months after his bankruptcy the court siezed his bank account, so I've been scared to use mine...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">