• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

age discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lavaughnd

I work for the postal service ad have been accepted and utilized in a "Supervisory Developemental Program" since March 98. I have been detailed as Supervisor in this program for over 2170 hours, have applied for Supervisor, Maintenance Operations on six different occasions, HAVE NOT been accepted for an interview, and the persons promoted have not been entered into the above program. The persons selected for the interview were: 30 year black lady who has "3" degrees so we need to promotte her first, (who was selected for an interview even before she had the one year requirement of employment on a previous occasion), a male employee who was a Navy Officer so he must be a great selection, and a male who was not entered into the program but "a likeable person", so he'll be a good one; just to name a few incidents. My Maintenance Manager of Operations was overheard by myself telling other Maintenace Managers who was enquiring about my ability that "He's not a very good manager and I wouldn't hire him", but they continue to utilize me in that capacity when the present supervisors take vacations, wants a day off, or attend meetings. Whether than use me in other supervisory positions in the maintenace area, they continue to use other "selected" personnel who hasn't been selected to participate in the 204B Developemental Program, as they are younger or have been a Sergeant Major in the Army and "we feel they can do a beter job," and they just happen to be Black. Should I pursue this as I feel I have DEFINITELY been discriminated against due to my age, I turned 60, November 1.

H

Henry T

You are in a protected class -- but isn't there is a union that represents postal workers? Have you asked the union?

L

lavaughnd

Henry T
Yes, I've spoken to the union, however, they feel I should pursue this through legal channels as they (the union) have filed a class action against the Post Office through the Labor Relations Board and another person has already filed a discrimination suit for age discrimination as well. They (the union)feel I should do the same, however, the layer that she has says she can't represent me and her other client as well. SHOULD I PURSUE THIS AND GO INTO ALL THE DETAILS WHICH I ONLY LISTED A SUMMARY OF THE FACTS. I do have notes, dates, names and documentation to substantiate all that I spoke of above and also the other actions of discrimination which i didnot provide as I didn't want to go into all the details on this inquiry.

A

Attorney_Replogle

Your best bet is to immediately contact a labor lawyer (also called employment law) near you. You can find one at attorneypages.com. They can be the best advice for you in this somewhat complicated matter. You could also telephone the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). They would meet with you, and if they feel there is a case, then they will lodge the complaint on your behalf at no cost to you. They can even take the matter to court if necessary.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">