• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tweetygirl

I live in Az, and was recently turned down for a job that I was highly qualified for. The reason I was turned down was that my sense of humor made it hard for others to take me seriously...I have taken the team leaders place on several occasions, and have handled all situations that arose. When I pointed that out, they then told me I did not have a professional appearance.\, meaning because I wear casual clothes to work which is our dress code. I have never been approached for my appearance, and the 3 people that I originally trained were picked for the positions. They are all under 40, so I wonder if it was actually because of my age. Even though I was never given that reason.
Thanks
Peggy

A

Attorney_Replogle

Well, the stated reason for your not getting that job (sense of humor) is within the legal limits of employment law. Whether that reason was a pretext (legal terminology for a lie) for their discrimination against you because of your age, that is the $64,000 question, right?

You will have to have some proof that it was the age, not your sense of humor, that was the cause of your not getting that job. It doesn't have to be absolute proof, but there has to be something more than speculation.

You can certainly speak with your state agency that handles work related discrimination claims. In California they are called the Department of Fair Employment and Housing. I don't know what it is in Arizona though.

You can ask an employment law attorney near you and they will have the answer. OK?

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">