• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

age discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
There is an ADEA exemption for public safety workers and I would think a police dispatcher falls into the public safety category,
The actual positions stated in the ADEA are positions "as a firefighter or as a law enforcement officer" so it is not quite as broad as the term "public safety worker" would suggest. See 29 U.S.C § 623(j), (ADEA § 4(j)). That's why I consistently used those terms in my previous replies concerning this exception.

HRZ

Could well be ....I doubt that is an LEO as defined ...reads like civilian staff to me . Local to me a similar position would require a hearing test ( post offer) and ability to type 3250 keystrokes per hour .

I just gotta believe that even if OP met every posted qualification , if his age was in there directly or indirectly as in date of high school graduation , his application gets to side pile....but no practical way to prove age was the killer. I agree , even if he was 29... if he lacked one of the required skills or did not test at top of pack, his application also went to side pile. Eiither way he did not make the cut ...and darn hard to prove it was the age point even if that is what it was. ( I did not link to final application page to see if it asked for information that would address age /dob , date of HS graduation etc. ....but the cover page description seems to give preference to somebody already in a dispatcher role and perhaps,OP is not in such role )

quincy

Could well be ....I doubt that is an LEO as defined ...reads like civilian staff to me . Local to me a similar position would require a hearing test ( post offer) and ability to type 3250 keystrokes per hour .

I just gotta believe that even if OP met every posted qualification , if his age was in there directly or indirectly as in date of high school graduation , his application gets to side pile....but no practical way to prove age was the killer. I agree , even if he was 29... if he lacked one of the required skills or did not test at top of pack, his application also went to side pile. Eiither way he did not make the cut ...and darn hard to prove it was the age point even if that is what it was. ( I did not link to final application page to see if it asked for information that would address age /dob , date of HS graduation etc. ....but the cover page description seems to give preference to somebody already in a dispatcher role and perhaps,OP is not in such role )
snowman's posting history indicates he doesn't qualify for the position. Age does not appear to be a factor.

mjpayne

I was applying for a dispatcher job with the Oro Valley police and when I asked them what my score was they called me back later and told me that they only give out whether you pass of fail. No score is giver. On the scheet you mark your answers there is a place they ask you your age so maybe they did not consider me at all because of me putting down my age of 76. Also I believed i passed the passing score.
Realistically, people will discriminate against you for all sorts of reasons, legal and illegal, and most of the time (including this time) you won't be able to do anything about it. You'd need something concrete like a letter or recording from the (world's dumbest) employer admitting he didn't hire you because of your old age to take legal action that stands a good chance of success. Understand that practically speaking, if the employer doesn't want you working there because he thinks you won't stick around due to your old age (means they'll waste time training you) or take lots of time off due to poor health (more likely with old people), chances are quite good that you won't be working there, especially in at-will employment states.

quincy

Snowman does not appear to meet the qualifications for the police dispatcher job, based on what snowman has said about himself in his other posts.

It has nothing to do with his age or age discrimination.

Just Blue

Snowman does not appear to meet the qualifications for the police dispatcher job, based on what snowman has said about himself in his other posts.

Peanuts like to shout out from the Gallery. ;)

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights

Interestingly enough, my immediate thought was tow-truck dispatcher, or other non-1st-responder-type dispatcher.

quincy

Interestingly enough, my immediate thought was tow-truck dispatcher, or other non-1st-responder-type dispatcher.
The police dispatcher job seems an odd choice for snowman based on what he has said of himself ... but the link I provided is to the only police dispatcher job (or any dispatcher job, as far as I can tell) available in Oro Valley. He clearly does not have some of the qualifications.

Perhaps once snowman's vision improves from his surgery, he will be able to be an Uber driver again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">