• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age of majority question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JMC3370

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TN
Hello everyone. Thanks in advance for any and all advice. My question is this: My son will turn 18 next month. He is in his senior year of high school. My fiance has asked us to move in with him, which would mean my son would no longer be zoned to his high school. My son has requested to temporarily live with his grandparents (who also reside in his high school zone) just to finish out his senior year. Does reaching the age of majority mean he can do this without my consent? I thought simply reaching the age of majority does not necessarily mean being emancipated...
Also, if he goes against my wishes and moves out after reaching 18, does my exhusband have any say-so about it? He is obligated per final decree to maintain support and insurance until graduation.

brisgirl825

Yes, he can move, at 18, w/o your consent. Your ex could petition the courts for his cs payments to be forwarded to the grandprents. You could face paying cs, to grandparents, until graduation.

Why not wait to move?

JMC3370

Yes, I have pretty much decided to wait until he graduates. My fiance can wait a little while longer! I did want to cover all the bases though. Thanks so much for the advice.

djohnson

Just curious how far away the move is, I know in my area of TN if you start one school for so long, you can continue to go there if you provide your own transportation. At 18 I assume he can drive, if it's in the same county, check into how long he has to be there to be considered.

JMC3370

We live in Middle TN and the move is just approx. 7 miles away, but just enough distance to be from one county into the next. I may check into what policies exist at his school with an issue like this.
I wonder though, what the courts do in situations like this. Obviously, if he is 18 years old, he is of age to stop going to school altogether if he chooses (heaven forbid).

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I think for the sake of 7 miles and the ability for the kid to finish his senior year, you & the dude can wait until June.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">