• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age related labor laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bad Management

I work at a place that has rules on where people should be placed according to their age. Recently, a coworker was arrested because he was a suspect in a shoplifting scheme. The trouble is, the job that allowed him to make the scheme work was something that he was not supposed to be doing. In other words, he wasnt supposed to be in that position in the first place. He was told to do it by the managers. The age distinction is if your under 18, then you work in only 1 place, but if your 18 or over, you work anywhere inside the store. This isnt the first time this kind of bad management has come up. My coworker got into a car accident while working and the managers had enough audacity to ask me and him "Are you really hurt or you dont want to work?". The kind of work we do is labor intensive and we work in every kind of weather. The equipment they supply us with is not adequate such as a raincoat that only had 1 button and a hood that not only had a hole in it, but also hindered our field of vision, which is extremely important since we work in a parking lot. Can we sue them for something like a hazardous workplace or something? Or is this better left for me to discuss with a lawyer? On a side note, what are the consequences for an 18 year old that is being charged as an accessory to a felony? Thanks for any advice.

A

Attorney_Replogle

My answers to you are either of a general nature or from the state of California, since that is where I am a licensed attorney. From what you wrote, one could agree that you have a mean-hearted employer. However, as regards your situation, it is my opinion that you have suffered no legally recompensable harm. Another attorney may disagree though. If you want, please check this site's attorney listings for a labor lawyer in your area. Regarding the 18 year old, it depends on the laws of your state, what prior criminal record the individual has, etc. So it is impossible to answer that query in a general nature given so many variables.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">