• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Agent entitled to a commission?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

custompatchlady

I had my home FSBO-had a buyer come back 2 times, second time gave me a verbal offer, I asked if he would wait as I had a movie filming offer in the works. I took my home off the market while awaiting decision on filming which fell thru. In the mean time buyer put his home on the market and found land he wanted. I just listed with a real estate company 4 days ago, which at the time told the agent of the buyer and also of another one that came while it was FSBO. Now the first man's property deal fell thru and he wants to come back to buy my home, do I owe this real estate agent a fee when it has only been listed for 4 days and had nothing to do with either buyer? Please help

Just Blue

I had my home FSBO-had a buyer come back 2 times, second time gave me a verbal offer, I asked if he would wait as I had a movie filming offer in the works. I took my home off the market while awaiting decision on filming which fell thru. In the mean time buyer put his home on the market and found land he wanted. I just listed with a real estate company 4 days ago, which at the time told the agent of the buyer and also of another one that came while it was FSBO. Now the first man's property deal fell thru and he wants to come back to buy my home, do I owe this real estate agent a fee when it has only been listed for 4 days and had nothing to do with either buyer? Please help
What state?

adjusterjack

I just listed with a real estate company 4 days ago, which at the time TOLD the agent of the buyer and also of another one that came while it was FSBO.
Note the emphasis on the word "told."

What did you put in the listing contract?

A contract that typically says something like "This is the entire agreement. Anything said outside the agreement doesn't count." Or words to that affect.

Realtors tend to get amnesia when it comes to something that's not in writing.

custompatchlady

I haven't gotten a copy of my real estate agreement yet, taled with my agent yesterday and said the buyer was coming back today, my agent immediately said we could make a deal on the commission of 3%!!! I said no way-so I'm not sure what is going to happen my home has just been onthe market for 4 days and this will be the 3rd time for the buyer to come back to me and write his offer, dont think the real estate agent should get anything for this but not sure what to do

adjusterjack

I haven't gotten a copy of my real estate agreement yet
I guess that's your second mistake. Signing something without getting a duplicate on the spot. I'm guessing that you didn't read it very carefully either.

dont think the real estate agent should get anything for this but not sure what to do
First, get the contract that you signed. Then read it.

You may have shot yourself in the foot if the realtor wants to play hardball.

custompatchlady

I had asked the other day about the copies, was told broker looks them over and then will get them?? I asked yesterday and he said nothing, texted this morning for copies no reply? When had it listed before with a different company did doc u sign so I had my copies right then,so I'm not sure why He is waiting

PayrollHRGuy

There is generally a place on the contract to name potential buyers who, if sold to, will not be covered by the listing agreement. If you didn't list them you will likely owe the commission. If you can negotiate the commission down on the buyer you brought in as you may have already done the RE agent can still provide many services to you on the sale for them to "earn" the commission.

adjusterjack

I had asked the other day about the copies, was told broker looks them over and then will get them?? I asked yesterday and he said nothing, texted this morning for copies no reply?
Typical.

Here's your life lesson for the future.

Any time somebody puts a document in front of you to sign, sign it but hold it in your hand and say "Where is your copy machine, I want a copy." Anything less than "The machine is right here, help yourself" say "No problem" and take out your cell phone and take a picture of the signed document. You do have a cell phone that takes pictures, don't you? In fact, get into the habit of doing that with any document and you'll never leave without a copy.

Better yet, take the document home before signing it so that you can study it. Then sign it and scan it to your computer.

Mass_Shyster

I had asked the other day about the copies, was told broker looks them over and then will get them?? I asked yesterday and he said nothing, texted this morning for copies no reply? When had it listed before with a different company did doc u sign so I had my copies right then,so I'm not sure why He is waiting
Get to a lawyer as soon as possible. There is a chance that there has not been a valid contract formed, since the broker has not "reviewed" it. A contract requires offer, acceptance, and consideration. It sounds like there has been no acceptance, and you may be able to withdraw your offer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">