• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Agent inspection fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t3nant

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Washington

Rental contract states:
"Tenant shall reimburse Lessor for any repairs made to the premises including:
Damage caused by Tenant's failure to leave heat on during cold weather. Tenant shall at all times heat the premises to a minimum of 60 degrees Fahrenheit to avoid freezing the pipes."

Now, the agent sent a letter of intent to inspect the premises. The letter states that there will be an inspection fee if I failed to perform their guidelines including the need to set the heat thermostat at 60 degrees F.

Is agent legally able to impose such a fee? I am paying for the heating costs, not the agent, and water freezes at 32F so I don’t need to leave heat on that high when I am at work. Also, there are other vacated apartments in the same building and I can see their electric meters stand still which means the agent does not heat the empty apartments. Additionally, the heat thermostat in the apartment where I live does not have any numbers to indicate the temperature.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Cvillecpm

Yes - the AGENT can charge the inspection fee and you agreed to it when you signed the lease AND yes, designating the temp is standard and your thinking that you are safe from being responsible for pipes freezing is faulty....again, you agreed to this in your lease.

FYI - if the pipes freeze, the owner's insurance will pay for repairs AND THEN COME AFTER YOU FOR REIMBURSEMENT....this will be WAY MORE than paying for the heat as your lease requires.

t3nant

Fire damages

I am worried that unattended heating may start fire. Would I be then responsible for fire damages? I know that pipes will not freeze while I am at work because the apartment can not get that cold in such a short time. Who can guarantee that the fire may not start?

The lease does not mention any inspection fees. I don't understand how then agent can charge such fees simply by sending the letter that they may charge for inspection fees.

No, I understand that I am responsible if pipes froze, my point is that it is silly, dictatorial, and unfriendly to environment to say you need to have temperature at 60F at all times. For example, it was 55F outside today and I did not need any heating inside.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">