• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Agent Verbally/Email Accepted Offer, Then Took Another

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bmun21

Maryland

Made an offer on a condo. The sellers verbally accepted my offer and in email said they were meeting that night to sign and just had a couple quick changes that once made and sent back to them they would send us the executed contract that night. Which we resent right away. Then that night we received another email saying they accepted another offer even though my offer would've netted them more. The other had a higher down payment and lower loan amount. They were concerned of appraisal. Never had a chance to even match which I'm sure we would've been able to. Just thought it was odd but maybe just a standard situation that sucks.

Anything I can do about it?

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

Look for another condo.

You didn't mention what state you are from but most of them have a statute of frauds that require many contracts to be written and virtually always include real estate contracts.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Anything I can do about it?
Even if there hadn't been a statute of frauds issue, it is clear in this situation that the parties anticipated that the actual contract would be concluded in writing; thus there would be no contract until both parties had signed that written contract. There was no verbal contract here. But, of course, even had there been a verbal contract, that would have been a problem given the statute of frauds.

bmun21

Yeah they just said that my offer was the best and that they are accepting it and would sign that night. Unfortunate

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">