• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Agent's responibility rating risk

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eepps

Insurance agent rated my residence in a flood zone when he sold me flood insurance. I have found the zone should have been rated C Perfered. The rating agent gave me tripled the insurance rate I should have paid. This has gone on for several years.

Has the agent acted in bad faith? Can I recover the over charges? If I sued the agentcy could I recover punitive damages?

ALawyer

If the agent simply made a mistake, NO punitive damages would be possible. If it was intentionally done, and to prove that you'd almost ccertainly need to be able to show it was part of a pettern, in some states punitives would be possible.

As for the company's responsibility, that would be based on whether it knew or should have known of the agent's actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">