• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Agreeing to Shared Parenting and then changing custody after dissolution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

First of all, I would like to apologize to everyone for all my unwelcome posts. I promise to read more and post less going forward. I understand that I don't have the legal background to chime in and add anything useful. I hope you will accept my humble apologies.

I would like your take on this situation. My niece's parents are going through a dissolution. My ex-sister-in-law is neglectful and emotionally abusive to her children. The physical abuse has been slapping her adopted son in the face and even bloodying his nose for no apparent reason. I do not talk to my ex-sil so I have not seen any of this first hand, I just hear about it. My daughter has kept in contact with her for the sake of the kids so that she can get them out of the house and be there for them. I've heard of these things through my daughter and ex-husband.

Now that they are going through a dissolution, I called her husband to offer support in any way I can. We talked briefly about his divorce. He told me they have the same attorney. My inexpert advice, based on…very little, was that he really should get his own attorney. His strategy is to go along with her and agree to a shared parenting plan just so he can get out of the marriage as quickly as possible, and THEN get his own attorney and file for custody. I suggested he at least talk to another attorney about his strategy.

I would hate to see this backfire on him, and personally I think it would be better to get the mother away from the kids sooner than that. If I talk to him again, I may recommend this site. Is there anything else you can suggest I tell him? What do you think of his plan?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

First of all, I would like to apologize to everyone for all my unwelcome posts. I promise to read more and post less going forward. I understand that I don't have the legal background to chime in and add anything useful. I hope you will accept my humble apologies.

I would like your take on this situation. My niece's parents are going through a dissolution. My ex-sister-in-law is neglectful and emotionally abusive to her children. The physical abuse has been slapping her adopted son in the face and even bloodying his nose for no apparent reason. I do not talk to my ex-sil so I have not seen any of this first hand, I just hear about it. My daughter has kept in contact with her for the sake of the kids so that she can get them out of the house and be there for them. I've heard of these things through my daughter and ex-husband.

Now that they are going through a dissolution, I called her husband to offer support in any way I can. We talked briefly about his divorce. He told me they have the same attorney. My inexpert advice, based on…very little, was that he really should get his own attorney. His strategy is to go along with her and agree to a shared parenting plan just so he can get out of the marriage as quickly as possible, and THEN get his own attorney and file for custody. I suggested he at least talk to another attorney about his strategy.

I would hate to see this backfire on him, and personally I think it would be better to get the mother away from the kids sooner than that. If I talk to him again, I may recommend this site. Is there anything else you can suggest I tell him? What do you think of his plan?
You, madam, meddle too much in your family's business.

If your family has legal questions, they need to make their own accounts and ask their own questions. And to forestall any excuses you may care to bring up:
  • Libraries provide free internet access for their patrons.
  • This board is here 24/7, barring database errors.
  • Typing ability/speed/accuracy aren't being tested here.

:cool:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I will say this -- both parties need their own attorneys. Agreeing to something in a divorce and wanting to change it right afterwards is not going to work.

Just Blue

Personally I think you are overly involved in others lives and should take-up a hobby. Knit, volunteer work at a local foodbank...something to make you feel useful without posting others personal stuff in a website.

With that said...feel free to direct friends/family here. We will do our best to assist them.

I will say this -- both parties need their own attorneys. Agreeing to something in a divorce and wanting to change it right afterwards is not going to work.
Thank you. Hopefully he talked to an attorney on his own. I will pass that on to him if I talk to him.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I would like your take on this situation. My niece's parents
Your ONLY advice shoul dbe he needs to find his own attorney. And YOU need to stop posting about other people's legal issues!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">