• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Airbnb booking.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cali3365

What is the name of your state? CA. Hello. Let’s say I book an Airbnb. I only buy cana for myself but bought a guest a bottle beforehand. If there’s people underage (even minors) drinking and it’s an Airbnb under my name, how in trouble can I be? What will the penalties be? How different would this be if I brought a 6 pack to share but it wasn’t for the minor?

cali3365

What is the name of your state? CA. Hello. Let’s say I book an Airbnb. I only buy cana for myself but bought a guest a bottle beforehand. If there’s people underage (even minors) drinking and it’s an Airbnb under my name, how in trouble can I be? What will the penalties be? How different would this be if I brought a 6 pack to share but it wasn’t for the minor?
for what this is worth I do not want to be in trouble since I am not the one giving the underage alcohol

quincy

Here is a link to the law:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=1714.&lawCode=CIV

Nothing precludes a guest from pursuing legal action against you.

quincy

You’re saying that if I was the one who booked it, and underage people drank with me around, even if it wasn’t alcohol I brought, I still can be in trouble??
Well ... you can be sued. Yes. A host can be found liable for what happens to their guests.

Being successful with a lawsuit with facts as you describe, however, might be a challenge.

quincy

Hm. May I ask how it’ll be a challenge?
You are not the one directly supplying alcohol to a minor. If you are present when the alcohol is served to the minor, however, and you do nothing to prevent it, your risk increases.

cali3365

You are not the one directly supplying alcohol to a minor. If you are present when the alcohol is served to the minor, however, and you do nothing to prevent it, your risk increases.
Hm, if I try to convince him not to drink, but he still does, I can’t do anything then. And when you say present, does that mean if I’m in the living room and he’s in the kitchen right next to it?

cali3365

How likely is it that I won’t face any kind of charges?

quincy

Hm, if I try to convince him not to drink, but he still does, I can’t do anything then. And when you say present, does that mean if I’m in the living room and he’s in the kitchen right next to it?
How likely is it that I won’t face any kind of charges?
If you don’t feel you can prevent your underage guests from drinking alcohol, you either should not host minors or you should not have any alcohol available for them to consume.

Those are the only ways I can think of offhand to avoid being held responsible for any alcohol-related injuries or deaths of your guests.

cali3365

If you don’t feel you can prevent your underage guests from drinking alcohol, you either should not host minors or you should not have any alcohol available for them to consume.

Those are the only ways I can think of offhand to avoid being held responsible for any alcohol-related injuries or deaths of your guests.
Ohh. Well damn I’m not talking about injury or death related to alcohol! I’m just wondering how in trouble could I be if I tried to stop the minor, he drank, but did not go anywhere and just stayed at Airbnb?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ohh. Well damn I’m not talking about injury or death related to alcohol! I’m just wondering how in trouble could I be if I tried to stop the minor, he drank, but did not go anywhere and just stayed at Airbnb?
As suggested above, don't invite/allow underaged guests into your b&b. Problem solved.

quincy

If no one learns of the consumption of alcohol by a minor and no one complains about the consumption of alcohol by a minor and there are no injuries or death from the consumption of alcohol by a minor, then you probably have nothing to worry about legally.

It is my opinion that it is a mistake to contribute to the delinquency of a minor, however, by supplying the minor with alcohol.

adjusterjack

If you are asking about possibilities, it's possible that you could go to jail and/or pay for any injury or damage caused by the minor. The other end of possible is that nothing comes of it.

Answer this question. If you see a bear trap in front of you, do you put your foot in it to test it? After all, it's just possible that nothing bad will happen to your foot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">