• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

aircraft registration and bill of sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ken nougaret

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida

i purchased a disassembled aircraft from an antique/junk dealer. he was not a pilot and did not have the plane registered in his name. i never tried to registered and now want to sell the aircraft.
the log books are complete. i looked up the name of the person the aircraft is registered to and tried to contact him. it is actually co-owned with his wife(i assume it's his wife). he has not returned phone calls or a letter i have sent him.
do i need to register the plane in my name before i can sell it (and how do i do that)? i would prefer to just sell it, but am i left with an aircraft that is only good for parts. and by the way i only wish to sell the airframe without the engine.

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

Since you're selling it without the engine, all you're selling is a pile of parts.

Your best bet is to contact AOPA and ask their advice.

xylene

You may be out of luck to prove the airframe is worthy and eligible for registration based on what you have posted.

The plane was sold without registration transfer twice (by the last owner to the junkman and then from the junkman to you) and is materially dismantled.

Perhaps you could luck into hiring someone to help you unload this.

I don't want to castigate you but you did the metaphorical equivalent of buying a car without a title, it should have been obvious that it would be a real bother to sell on a parts plane as airworthy.

FlyingRon

You can sell the airplane as a bunch of parts, but you need to be careful. Much as with car titles, the official aircraft chain of ownership is what is on record with the FAA. If the FAA still has the previous owner on record, whoever buys it from you will not be able to register it.

Frankly, what I would do is get the appropriate bill of sale form (you need to obtain this from the FAA, this is a multipart form and you can't use a copy) and send it along with a nice letter offering to get him off the paperwork and liability (and by the way the FAA is phasing in a registration FEE that never used to exist) if he just signs it over to you.

You don't have to register it if you don't want to fly it. When you sell it to someone else, you should fill out another bill of sale transferring it to them. Be sure to send the appropriate part of the form along to the FAA folk in OKC each time.

xylene

Frankly, what I would do is get the appropriate bill of sale form (you need to obtain this from the FAA, this is a multipart form and you can't use a copy) and send it along with a nice letter offering to get him off the paperwork and liability (and by the way the FAA is phasing in a registration FEE that never used to exist) if he just signs it over to you.

You don't have to register it if you don't want to fly it. When you sell it to someone else, you should fill out another bill of sale transferring it to them. Be sure to send the appropriate part of the form along to the FAA folk in OKC each time.
Wouldn't this idea be no good, a fraudulent affidavit of transfer, this as the plane had already been sold before as scrap?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">