• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Airplane landing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

davit

I would appreciate some advice on this issue.
Just a couple of days ago, I and seven others in my travel group were on route from Cozumel to Cancun Mexico. We were traveling on a F-27 turboprop airplane. The flight was going fine and we were approaching the runway for landing, but the plane did not land but ascended and began to circle for another approach. We began to descend again and approach the runway. The plane appeared to have a normal landing, but then all of a sudden we heard metal scraping against the ground. The plane veered to the right and to the left and then came to an abrupt stop in the middle of the runway. It turned out that the nose gear was not out and we made a skid landing without it.
I would like to make a point that we were not warned at all of such a problem. The two pilots nor the one flight attendant did not tell us anything. When the plane did finally stop, all the flight attendant did was walk from the front of the plane to the back and opened the door and she said to get off the plane. As soon as we jumped from the stairway of the plane (since the nose was down, the back of the plane was up higher than normal), we saw firetrucks and firemen coming to the airplane. We could smell some type of burning, but did not see any flames. Then there were buses that came and picked us all up to take into the terminal. We had to catch our next flight into the states, so after the luggage was brought to us to claim, we were put on our next flight. Needless to say, most of us were terrified of flying again, but needed to get home somehow.
So my question to you is whether or not we have a case here. We feel that the airline was negligent in not telling us of the problem and to prepare for a possible crash landing. Then there is the other issue of psychological effects; fear of flying whether it be now or in the future.

[This message has been edited by davit (edited October 05, 2000).]

ALawyer

If the flight was on a Mexican airline, between 2 cities in Mexico, Mexican law probably would apply, and unless you could get jurisdiction in the US courts -- perhaps because they do business or have assets here -- you'd probably have to sue in a Mexican court. Lots of luck.

But ask a lawyer in your area who does aviation law cases. This is NOT a heavy damages case, thank G-d.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">