• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony after 5 years separation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ssmoken

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My husband and I legally separated after 9 years of marriage. He moved out and we continued to be friendly for our son and visitation purposes. After 5 years, I have grown tired of asking him to sign final divorce papers and gotten legal counsel. He is rebutting the separation and is now asking for spousal support, even though he has lived on his own for over 5 years now, without assistance. He makes good money. I have 75% custody of our one son. I am just trying to put my mind at a little ease, I don't think it's right that he can just now say that he needs help.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My husband and I legally separated after 9 years of marriage. He moved out and we continued to be friendly for our son and visitation purposes. After 5 years, I have grown tired of asking him to sign final divorce papers and gotten legal counsel. He is rebutting the separation and is now asking for spousal support, even though he has lived on his own for over 5 years now, without assistance. He makes good money. I have 75% custody of our one son. I am just trying to put my mind at a little ease, I don't think it's right that he can just now say that he needs help.
I am not going to say that its absolutely impossible for him to get alimony, but the fact that he has been living on his own, without assistance, and makes good money would tend to go against him.

ssmoken

Thank you

I finally have a good lawyer. My last one ditched me as soon as my case was more than a little paperwork. Some lame excuse about his caseload being too much and he couldn't handle mine any longer. I am going to child support but I doubt that I could get alimony.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">