• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony after retirement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mazamitla

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? California
Hello
I am elderly woman, who is getting modest alimony .
My ex is about to retire , and I am expecting hi
m to go to the court to reduce/eliminate alimony .
I also expect him to be not quite honest about his
financial status .
I am not able to go to the court with the lawyer on my side .
I know , my ex with his wife , owns at least 4 houses , in Nevada and California .
Values of these properties are about 800 k each .
How can I obtain report about his real estate possessions without hirering the lawyer, which I can not afford .
I would like to send this report to the judge , so judge knows that the ex is successful person, and maybe elimination of alimony is not necessary .
Regards e

justalayman

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? California
Hello
I am elderly woman, who is getting modest alimony .
My ex is about to retire , and I am expecting hi
m to go to the court to reduce/eliminate alimony .
I also expect him to be not quite honest about his
financial status .
I know , my ex with his wife , owns at least 4 houses , in Nevada and California .
How can I obtain report about his real estate possessions without hirering the lawyer, which I can not afford .
I would like to send this report to the judge , so judge knows that the ex is successful person, and maybe elimination of alimony is not necessary .
Regards e
I haven’t checked Nevada or California but in states I’ve been interested in I’ve been able to find records of ownership in the register of deeds office (or whatever the particular state calls the office that maintains such records). Not all counties in all states have their records online (in the states I’ve looked in) but it’s a place to start for you.

adjusterjack

That's dangerous. People in litigation tend to lose by default if they don't show up. Figure out a way to show up. Or do you mean you can go but you can't afford to take a lawyer with you?

Nevada maintains property ownership records with County Assessors. Most Assessors these days have property search features. Here's Clark County for example:

https://www.clarkcountynv.gov/assessor/Pages/RecordSearch.aspx
If you know which county the properties are located in, you can go directly to that County Assessor website. If you don't know the county, you'll have to check each one.

California also has County Assessors but they charge fees for searches. Here's Los Angeles for example:

https://assessor.lacounty.gov/online-property-database-access/
County Recorders (land records offices, recorder of deeds) are used in both states but tend to be a bit more difficult to navigate than assessors' websites so I'd start with assessors first.

There are pay sites online that charge fees for broader searches.

I would like to send this report to the judge
One doesn't "send" stuff to judges. One makes proper filings and pleadings before going to court and then gives testimony and evidence in court.

If your ex does file for a modification, you should at least get a free consultation with an attorney and review your options.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">