• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony Closure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jucoliveira

I need to renew my passport with the US Consulate in Brazil and I have an outstanding balance with Child Support Service of New York, who informed me that it is arrears only case. At the time of divorce (1984) there was a verbal agreement made between me and the mother, that no alimony payments would be required of me but there is debt with the organization. They offered me to deposit 50 dolars a week, which is the maximum fisable amount to me at the moment - the total is U46,000 - but even if I make the payment I would just be able to renew my passport when the payment is complete and now I find myself in an emergencial situation because I have no documents. Currently, there is no longer a support order and all arrearages in the case are assigned to the State, the children have reached the age of majority, I live in a foreign country, I have no domestic income and the mother is willing to help if necessary. Could I get any help regarding that? Is there any possibility of closing the case? Thank you

LdiJ

I need to renew my passport with the US Consulate in Brazil and I have an outstanding balance with Child Support Service of New York, who informed me that it is arrears only case. At the time of divorce (1984) there was a verbal agreement made between me and the mother, that no alimony payments would be required of me but there is debt with the organization. They offered me to deposit 50 dolars a week, which is the maximum fisable amount to me at the moment - the total is U46,000 - but even if I make the payment I would just be able to renew my passport when the payment is complete and now I find myself in an emergencial situation because I have no documents. Currently, there is no longer a support order and all arrearages in the case are assigned to the State, the children have reached the age of majority, I live in a foreign country, I have no domestic income and the mother is willing to help if necessary. Could I get any help regarding that? Is there any possibility of closing the case? Thank you
You do realize that alimony and child support are separate issues entirely?

If the arrears are assigned to the state that means that the mother was collecting state benefits for the children and therefore the support is due to the state to reimburse them for that assistance. Unfortunately there is nothing that the mother can do to help you with that. She can forgive money owed to her but not money owed to the state. A attorney could perhaps help you come to a settlement with the state so that you can renew your passport.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">