• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony/Spousal Support, Child Support enforcement in TX from another state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

Married 28 years, one minor child with disabilities that started before age 3. Child receives SSI.

Husband left SC and moved to Texas w/another woman. I filed 30 days later. Have temporary hearing scheduled. I have stayed at home entire marriage, and have no degree or work experience.

My husband has provided no monetary support since he left, and feels his money is his money. Great, but I will receive (most probably) alimony/child support.

How does this work if he’s living in Texas? Can alimony/ss and child support from one state be enforced in Texas from a court in SC? My husband seems to want to dump me and our disabled child with nothing. It’s heartbreaking after devoting almost 3 decades of my life and my loyalty to him.

Thank you.

Just Blue

Married 28 years, one minor child with disabilities that started before age 3. Child receives SSI.

Husband left SC and moved to Texas w/another woman. I filed 30 days later. Have temporary hearing scheduled. I have stayed at home entire marriage, and have no degree or work experience.

My husband has provided no monetary support since he left, and feels his money is his money. Great, but I will receive (most probably) alimony/child support.

How does this work if he’s living in Texas? Can alimony/ss and child support from one state be enforced in Texas from a court in SC? My husband seems to want to dump me and our disabled child with nothing. It’s heartbreaking after devoting almost 3 decades of my life and my loyalty to him.

Thank you.
What is the disability that your minor child has? How much does the STBX earn yearly (gross income)?Although he likely will be ordered to pay CS you really can't count on it. You need to be self-supportive in case he doesn't pay. Yes, he can be found in contempt for not paying but that can take some time.
Depending on the stbx income you may not get any SS.

LdiJ

Thank you.
Yes, alimony and child support can be enforced even if he is living in another state. However, it is unlikely that he will be ordered to pay enough alimony and child support to completely support you and your child. Its likely that you are going to have to get a job and earn some money yourself as well.

I understand I will re-enter the workforce. Would my stbx also have to help pay for child care costs? I will be the custodial parent and have the child 100% if the time. He has not requested any custody of the child. Our child has many doctor appointments monthly for their syndrome and it takes a lot of time to attend these appointments.

Although the child is our child, it does feel as if the child is my child solely, LdiJ.

My soon to be ex and biological father of the child has decided to transfer his financial support and love to the child of his gf. He hasn’t called or had any contact with our/his child.

Just Blue

Although the child is our child, it does feel as if the child is my child solely, LdiJ.

My soon to be ex and biological father of the child has decided to transfer his financial support and love to the child of his gf. He hasn’t called or had any contact with our/his child.
How old is your (mutual) child? How long ago did he leave? Is your child verbal?
I highly suggest you never say something like the bolded in court...and really you should just never say it at all.

How old is your (mutual) child? How long ago did he leave? Is your child verbal?
I highly suggest you never say something like the bolded in court...and really you should just never say it at all.
He left 8 months ago. Our child can communicate, simply. It pains me horribly to say it. I surely am heartbroken at the fact my soon to be ex has abandoned our child. I have begged and pleaded via text (which he does not respond to) for him to have a relationship with his/our child.

When he left I asked him what about our child, and he laughed very rudely and told me I could take care of our child. He’s kept his word on that and not communicated with me about our child or provided any financial support. Could you advise me what would be proper to say in court regarding this circumstance? Thank you.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Honestly? You would be well advised to at least consult with a lawyer in your state - many offer free or low-cost consultations. The urgency depends a great deal on how long your stbx has resided in Texas - the closer to 6 mos in the state (and 90 days w/in a county), the more urgent it becomes so that he cannot file for divorce in TX. While TX can handle the divorce, it would not have jurisdiction over custody, which will make things more expensive.

Just Blue

Honestly? You would be well advised to at least consult with a lawyer in your state - many offer free or low-cost consultations. The urgency depends a great deal on how long your stbx has resided in Texas - the closer to 6 mos in the state (and 90 days w/in a county), the more urgent it becomes so that he cannot file for divorce in TX. While TX can handle the divorce, it would not have jurisdiction over custody, which will make things more expensive.
OP said she filed (I'm assuming it was for divorce) 30 days after he STBX left for Texas.

Yes, already filed. How do I communicate that he’s done this without coming off vengeful or like I am “out to get him?” Any suggestions? Just stick to facts and don’t give my opinion? Trying to preserve my retainer fee. Also worried he will not pay as other ppl here have stated. He’s basically walked away. I know I will need orders from a judge here, since this court has jurisdiction. He’s not paid any bills or provided any money for food, gas, etc. I am relying on help from family and trying to get help for my child. I have applied for many jobs but since I am 50 years old and been out of the workforce for 29 years I am being turned down for even jobs in grocery stores and gas stations. It’s extremely scary.

His parents told me he has purchased a new truck and the credit card in both our names he has indicates he’s buying items for another woman and child. Expensive items. My attorney said we have to go step by step and try to focus on each step. Also she has requested his financial statements and he’s not responded to the request.

7 years old. At the moment because of medical issues the child cannot walk well and the ortho doc has told me surgery is the next step. Child cannot walk without help and needs to wear a walking boot 24/7.

bcr229

His parents told me he has purchased a new truck and the credit card in both our names he has indicates he’s buying items for another woman and child. Expensive items. My attorney said we have to go step by step and try to focus on each step. Also she has requested his financial statements and he’s not responded to the request.
You can freeze your credit so that he can't open new lines with your name on them. You will need to call each of the three major credit bureaus:
Equifax (1-800-349-9960)
TransUnion (1-888-909-8872)
Experian (1-888-397-3742)

If you request a credit freeze, be sure to pick a password you can remember or store it somewhere safe, because you will need it to open a new line of credit for yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">