• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mggs11

What is the name of your state?New York

My ex has been paying me spousal support monthly. He is sometimes late,but nothing significant. Within the last month I have not received my payment. We are not on speaking terms so I sent him a certified letter asking what the delay was. I received the return portion with his name on it(not signed by him however)with a small note on it stating he has COVID19. I’m not sure what his condition is, but should I wait a bit longer for payment,or contact an attorney to see if payment can be released to me by the state,or someone else. Not sure of his marital status. Thank you

zddoodah

should I wait a bit longer for payment,or contact an attorney to see if payment can be released to me by the state,or someone else.
What you "should" do is for you to decide and is a decision that should be based on information you didn't provide (including how badly you need need the money).

However, I'm not sure why you think "the state or someone else" would make your ex's alimony payments.

Just Blue

My ex has been paying me spousal support monthly. He is sometimes late,but nothing significant. Within the last month I have not received my payment. We are not on speaking terms so I sent him a certified letter asking what the delay was. I received the return portion with his name on it(not signed by him however)with a small note on it stating he has COVID19. I’m not sure what his condition is, but should I wait a bit longer for payment,or contact an attorney to see if payment can be released to me by the state,or someone else. Not sure of his marital status. Thank you
How old is your ex?

Mggs11

I DO NOT expect the state or some one else to pay me! I am asking if the state might garnish his wages or if he is married that spouse would write me a check from his bank account. He is to pay spousal support until retires.

Just Blue

I DO NOT expect the state or some one else to pay me! I am asking if the state might garnish his wages or if he is married that spouse would write me a check from his bank account. He is to pay spousal support until retires.
How old is he?

Just Blue

The way the bolded is worded DOES seem like you are looking for payment from the state.

zddoodah

I DO NOT expect the state or some one else to pay me!
That's fine, but please recognize that the words you used in your original post indicated otherwise.

I am asking if the state might garnish his wages or if he is married that spouse would write me a check from his bank account.
You can do that as a means to try and enforce the alimony obligation. The district attorney may help facilitate that, but I don't know (you can google something like "new york alimony enforcement" or "new york alimony wage garnishment"). Obviously, no one here has any way of knowing if his current spouse (if he has one) would write you a check.

I suggest you confer with a local family law attorney.

LdiJ

That's fine, but please recognize that the words you used in your original post indicated otherwise.

You can do that as a means to try and enforce the alimony obligation. The district attorney may help facilitate that, but I don't know (you can google something like "new york alimony enforcement" or "new york alimony wage garnishment"). Obviously, no one here has any way of knowing if his current spouse (if he has one) would write you a check.

I suggest you confer with a local family law attorney.
On top of that, if he has COVID-19 he is not working and therefore probably not receiving a paycheck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
if he gets well will he be responsible for paying missed payments.
Yes, he will be.
To be clear, even if he DOESN'T get well, he's responsible for payments that he was supposed to make but didn't make.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes, he will be.
To be clear, even if he DOESN'T get well, he's responsible for payments that he was supposed to make but didn't make.
Depends on whether he would have an estate or not. If he doesn't get well and he dies, payments end. Maybe OP needs to look at supporting herself.

Reactions: t74

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">