• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

All State Insurance is not paying the full amount

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AliciaY

What is the name of your state? Ohio

1, The accident happened in Toledo, Ohio.
2, I live in Michigan (that's probably a non-factor).
3, I don't work during the day. So I'm not going to lose any wages if I go to court.
4, I only have liability coverage on my vehicle.
5, I had two passengers.
6, No one was injured.
7, Estimated damages (from someone All State sent out) is slightly under 3,000.
8, I have not sought out repair estimates myself.
9, We did have a witness, but appearently he changed his mind and left before anyone could get his information.

On my way home from work, I was hit by a kid that ran through a red light. He admitted guilt to the police at the scene was cited for running a red light.

Two days later, when I filed the claim with his insurance (All State), I was informed the at-fault driver changed his story and told All State he had the green light. So the insurance adjuster said she would have to speak to the police officer to determine fault.

I waited about a week before reaching out the insurance adjuster again. When I finally got ahold of her, I was informed my claim would be denied since they couldn't speak to the officer that investigated the accident. Supposedly, the adjuster left a message with the police department and the officer never returned her call...

Another week went by without hearing anything from All State... Nothing was finalized yet. I figured the other driver was fighting the citation... However, when I searched for the driver's name in Toledo's online court records, I found out he plead guilty. I took a screenshot of the case information and sent it to the adjuster, and kindly asked for payment to repair the car. The adjuster came back and offered me 70% for estimated repair bill and claimed she can't pay 100% since the police officer never returned her call.

I refused the offer and asked again for 100% otherwise I would seek payment through small claims court. The adjuster didn't budge and claimed they were firm on only paying 70%.

My questions are:
  • Besides accepting the 70% offer, what other options do I have before I take this matter to small claims court?
  • Who would I sue (the driver or All State)?
  • What are my chances of winning the full amount in small claims court?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) None
2.) The driver
3.) Slim at best

Stand by for adjusterjack. If he says I'm wrong about any of the three, I defer to him.

AliciaY

Thank you cbg.

May I ask two additional questions please?
1, What are my chances of winning anything in small claims court?
2, Why wouldn't the courts honor my request for a full payment?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm not prepared to give odds on #1
As far as #2 goes, even if the court agreed with you, a certain proverb about blood and turnips comes to mind. And if you can't even be bothered to get repair estimates yourself, why should the court offer you anything more than the insurance is willing to pay?

Again, Jack is the expert here. I defer to him if he disagrees with me.

adjusterjack

8, I have not sought out repair estimates myself.
I suggest that you do. For no other reason than to confirm Allstate's estimate and have your car thoroughly checked for any damage that Allstate's adjuster might have missed.

The adjuster came back and offered me 70% for estimated repair bill and claimed she can't pay 100% since the police officer never returned her call.
The officer probably won't return her call. He did not witness the accident so anything he has to say about it doesn't count.

However, when I searched for the driver's name in Toledo's online court records, I found out he plead guilty. I took a screenshot of the case information
That'll help.

Besides accepting the 70% offer, what other options do I have before I take this matter to small claims court?
Who would I sue (the driver or All State)?
Agree with cbg. Your options are accept the 70% or sue the driver in small claims court. Nothing in between.

What are my chances of winning the full amount in small claims court?
There's where I have a different opinion. That the driver pled guilty to the traffic citation puts you ahead of the game. When you sue the driver he has to appear in court or you move for a default judgment for 100% of your repair cost. If he does appear he can hardly deny that he ran the red light since he admitted running the red light by pleading guilty and paying the fine.

Unless he can somehow prove that you were partially negligent in causing the accident (I don't see how) the judge is likely to award you 100% of your repair cost.

You'll also need to find out from your repair shop how long the repairs will take, then find out how much a rental car would cost for that number of days, and include the rental car cost in your lawsuit.

Once that happens, Allstate has a contractual obligation to its insured to pay it.

AliciaY

Thank you Adjuster Jack.

Would three estimates from different dealerships be enough? Would it be in my best interest to pick the lowest bidder and pay for repairs now, and then sue once I knew the final repair cost?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">