• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

also need advice on paying damages-urgent help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moraid

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I rear ended into someone who had been driving with a flat tire which eventually popped out and left the car in the middle of the road.

i was cited and got the ticket dismissed, now they are trying to recover for damages or threatening with a suit.

do they have grounds for these threats if the ticket was dismissed? does the dismissal of the ticket also dismiss the police report?

thank you in advance for your help and let me know if you need more details regarding the case.

kristinnichole

Well I am not a professional, but have asked the same question in the past. Just because you didnt get a ticket OR had it dismissed doesn't mean that you are not at fault.

Rear ended accidents are almost ALWAYS the fault of the driver who rear ends the other.

ecmst12

And if the car was disabled and stopped in the middle of the road, then you are still at fault for hitting a fixed object.

Dismissal of the police citation does not take away the other party's ability to sue you for damage they sustained.

This is something you should hire an attorney to represent you on.

ecmst12

If you have insurance, they will handle this for you. If you don't have insurance, but the other person is just claiming property damage and not injury, then don't bother with a lawyer, just pay for the damage you caused. If they were injured and are threatening to sue for injuries, you definitely need a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">