• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alzheimer's and Guns

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
AZ

88 year old Mom is likely to be given an Alzheimer's diagnosis soon. She's having severe memory issues and her paranoia is getting worse by the day. My oldest sister is staying with Mom temporarily (?) and reported that Mom has placed a rifle by the front door and a handgun by the side door. I'll be going over shortly to see if I can talk her into giving me the guns, which I don't believe I'll be successful.

Unless/until we get the official diagnosis (and the POAs I have are activated), it doesn't appear that I can legally remove the guns without her permission. The local PD suggested I call for a civil assist to see if they can convince her to give them up. If they can't convince her, what options do I have?

She has a living trust and I have durable POAs for financial and healthcare. We're working on getting 2 doctors to be willing to put in writing that Mom is no longer capable of handling her affairs, but this gun thing is urgent.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
AZ

88 year old Mom is likely to be given an Alzheimer's diagnosis soon. She's having severe memory issues and her paranoia is getting worse by the day. My oldest sister is staying with Mom temporarily (?) and reported that Mom has placed a rifle by the front door and a handgun by the side door. I'll be going over shortly to see if I can talk her into giving me the guns, which I don't believe I'll be successful.

Unless/until we get the official diagnosis (and the POAs I have are activated), it doesn't appear that I can legally remove the guns without her permission. The local PD suggested I call for a civil assist to see if they can convince her to give them up. If they can't convince her, what options do I have?

She has a living trust and I have durable POAs for financial and healthcare. We're working on getting 2 doctors to be willing to put in writing that Mom is no longer capable of handling her affairs, but this gun thing is urgent.
As an "urgent" matter, one option may be to consider having someone distract her as you remove the guns and deal with further repercussions later. You could even discuss this with the police prior to doing it.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
As an "urgent" matter, one option may be to consider having someone distract her as you remove the guns and deal with further repercussions later. You could even discuss this with the police prior to doing it.
That's today's plan -- husband is going with me so we can tag team it. We can get the guns out, but if she does as I suspect and calls the police, I don't think I'm legally able to keep them from her.

Zigner

That's today's plan -- husband is going with me so we can tag team it. We can get the guns out, but if she does as I suspect and calls the police, I don't think I'm legally able to keep them from her.
Talk to the police first.

Now that I think about it, another idea is to remove the bullets...

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Definitely talk to the police first. Have you not talked to your mother's PCP? While her POA may require 2 doctors the police may not.
Took Mom to see her PCP a couple weeks ago; that's when I asked for the referral for neuro-testing. So he's aware.

And just got back from Mom's. She and sister got into a squabble about the guns, so she hid them after sister went to bed (she works nights) and before I got there. Mom's so paranoid that I can't walk from one room to another without her following, so wasn't able to search for the guns. Will have to do a search party when I know Mom will be out of the house for a while.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Talk to the police first.

Now that I think about it, another idea is to remove the bullets...
Eldest sister is on "unloading" detail tonight IF she can find the weapons. I'm not a fan of someone thinking they have a live weapon in most cases, but I don't know what else to do at this point.

xylene

Ever see "The Caine Mutiny"?

Take the guns under circumstances that when she calls the police she looks crazy.

"Mom, dad came back and took the guns."

quincy

Following is a link to the Alzheimer’s Association with their suggestions on how to handle gun possession when the gun owner suffers from Alzheimer’s:

https://www.alz.org/media/Documents/alzheimers-dementia-firearm-safety-ts.pdf

It appears that you already have tried, or are attempting, much of what the Alzheimer’s Association suggests.

I am sorry you have the gun complication added to what is already a complicated (and sad) situation. Good luck.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
A bit of good news: sister found both the gun and the rifle and removed the ammo. The ammo will be stored outside of Mom's house, it's highly unlikely she'll notice.

I've got Mom on the waiting list at the neurologist's in case there's a cancellation; otherwise her initial appt isn't until 8 July. I also have a Geriatric Case Manager on standby to help facilitate the "Mom, you need help" conversation. Hopefully we'll not have any more "oh crap" situations that involve weapons...

Zigner

A bit of good news: sister found both the gun and the rifle and removed the ammo. The ammo will be stored outside of Mom's house, it's highly unlikely she'll notice.

I've got Mom on the waiting list at the neurologist's in case there's a cancellation; otherwise her initial appt isn't until 8 July. I also have a Geriatric Case Manager on standby to help facilitate the "Mom, you need help" conversation. Hopefully we'll not have any more "oh crap" situations that involve weapons...
Make sure she checked the chambers - simply removing the ammo from the magazines could allow a round to remain in the weapons.

quincy

I am glad your sister was able to locate the weapons and remove the ammunition from the house. That should eliminate one worry from your mind.

I hope you and your sister are looking into someone who eventually can provide your mother with care, if not full time then at least part time, to give you and/or your sister what will be necessary breaks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">