• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alzheimer's & Removing the Feeding Tube

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RLVette

Florida

My father has been in a nursing home for three years suffering from Alzheimer_s.

Originally while in the hospital for an infection the doctors felt he was having problems swallowing food so they put a feeding tube in his belly. Being in the hospital and then a nursing home for recovery, his Alzheimer_s symptoms got worse and instead of coming home he became a resident at the nursing home.

Now three years later, my father knows no one including my mother and is unable to sit up or have any movement other than swinging his arms when he gets violent. My father had a living will that stated that he didn't want to be kept alive by artificial means and my mother and I know he wouldn't want to be kept alive in the current state if he was conscious of what is currently going on.

My mother is power of attorney for my father

So, my questions are.

Can we legally have the feeding tube removed?

Second, if we have the feeding tube removed, will the life insurance policies which he has had for years, be effected?

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Can we legally have the feeding tube removed?
No one here can answer that. Simply because you have his living will, there are much more complex issues involved which will require consultations with your father's medical team, your attorney and possibly the court. Simply saying he has a living will does not mean a feeding tube would classify as a condition which can be terminated without consequences.
Second, if we have the feeding tube removed, will the life insurance policies which he has had for years, be effected?
That is a question for the insurance company and a review of the policy.

Shay-Pari'e

He is not being kept alive by anything other than the feeding tube. Your father will die a slow, painfull death if taken off the feeding tube.

1. Ask the doctor about the POA and if he will allow this.

2. Contact the insurance company for your other answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">