• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I being discriminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phantom75

What is the name of your state? New York

I have two different issues with the same company of 75+ employees. First issue: I work per diem for a staffing company for 8 years and I’m #2 in seniority. I wanted full-time status but was told I was required to work a weekend day to be full time, which I could not do as I have another job on weekends. I have asked my operations supervisor several times and again recently if full-time status was possible w/o weekend days and was again told no. This past month a full time employee who has several years less time than I do is no longer is required to work weekends because she does not have child care. Is a company allowed to change this type of policy to accommodate only certain employees?

2nd issue: The staffing company requires you to put in your availability 2 months in advance for the days you want to work. Full-time staff get 3 - 12hr days a week, per diem varies on their availability. I always put in my availability Mon-Fri, 6a-6p. Every month several shifts are not given to me but instead given to staff with less seniority. When I questioned this, my boss who is also the CEO stated seniority doesn't matter in his company. The financial impact of not getting these shifts for 1 year equates to roughly 2 ½ months of lost pay, which is a significant amount. Is a company allowed to do this? Does seniority count for anything?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Legally, no. Legally seniority is worth nothing at all. No laws anywhere in the US require a private (not-government) employer to take seniority into consideration.

Nothing you have posted so far is evidence of illegal discrimination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">